oil in frame how dose it work

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
kwik man

#1 Post by kwik man »

Can some one tell me how the motor gets its oil. I pulled my motor for the first time. I just in stalled
the motor back in to the frame I filled up the frame all the way. I wanted to flush the motor with new oil but the oil is not getting to the crank case when i remove the motor drain plug there is no oil there
can some one help me

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

It is a dry sump system that sucks oil from the frame via the hose near the exhaust. It pumps it thru the engine and another pump (scavenger) pulls it from the engine and sends it back to the frame via the big hose near the drain. Dont put more than a quart and a half in the frame or it will puke it out.
If you are flushing due to a crank failure or something you need to do that with kerosene or diesel fuel and you should have done that while the motor was out but you can still do it... Just running oil thru there will not clean metal out very well.
Hope this helps some.
Ray

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

[attachment=4928:Frame_Cad_Drawing.jpg]

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

Forgot to mention that there is a check valve before the pump that is supposed to keep the oil from drianing from the frame to the motor so you have oil in the frame to draw... When those stick and the motor fills up then you have multiple problems when you try to start it. So what you are describing is normal.
If you were to pull the hose under the exhaust pipe you will have all your oil gushing out but I would suggest draining it at the two spar drains.

Rig up a filter and a fuel pump and you can circulate, filter and flush the frame all you want.
Ray

Nickc711

#5 Post by Nickc711 »

hey kdeal do you have the cad file?

kwik man

#6 Post by kwik man »

Thank you guys for your help
When I pulled the motor drain plug ther it looked like there was 50% oil & 50% gas is this good or bad

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats not good.Either you flooded motor bad at one time or its running really rich.Could also be caused by a leaking injector.