hard to start dale 440

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
blackgixxer

#1 Post by blackgixxer »

Hey guys,new to the forums/Just picked up a 02 cannondale 440 canibal.Got it for a good deal and figured i always wanted one so what the ****.
Everything looks good and solid on it as it is now.The guy i bought it from said it has been sitting for 3 months in his shop corner.The problem it has is starting up.I have read about the prime prime prime,dont touch the throttle,etc.The previous owner drilled a hole in the air way,shoots a small blast of carb cleaner in there and it will eventually start after 6 or 7 times.When warmed up it seems better but i know this isnt the way to be starting this thing.He says it has been fully updated,has the s1000 computer in it and is almost positive the injector is dirty.He keeps recommending to send out the computer and throttle bodies to black widow to solve the problem.Can this be a just clean the fuel tank and lines good and run fresh fuel in it with a good cleaner or does anyone have an idea that i should start looking deeper into?thanks for any help,the quad seems to run good but dont want to get stuck with it not starting

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

Were are you out of? Someone might be able to come over to give you a hand.

Dachshund

#3 Post by Dachshund »

I'm sure some one else will chime in with more knowledge but it could be your idle is set too low or your IACV is not working properly. Do you have a D&M? Your idle is supposed to be at 2100-2200 I believe with it warm. They don't like to start cold if the idle is set too low.

blackgixxer

#4 Post by blackgixxer »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Dec 22 2007, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure some one else will chime in with more knowledge but it could be your idle is set too low or your IACV is not working properly. Do you have a D&M? Your idle is supposed to be at 2100-2200 I believe with it warm. They don't like to start cold if the idle is set too low.

im out in connecticut.The dales were sold here for a year locally and basically i do not know of anyone owning one around me.So they are new to me.I need to find a manuel of some sort to get used to the quads and how they are set up.No d and m either,not usre at all what that is and were to start.thanks again,i am hoping to start tomorrow by cleaning the tank,etc. and checking alll lines,new plug and stuff.

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

The gas would have not gone bad in three months... but a year or more yes!
When it is running and warm it should be runnning at 2100 rpms or so which is really fast compared to any other quad... like about two and a half times faster. Any lower and there will be problems starting. When they start cold it will be even higher untill it warms up.
Pull the oil filter (the round cover by the shifter and cut it apart and make sure that there is not a bunch of metal in there just to rule out anything major.
Ray

wayneschofield

#6 Post by wayneschofield »

You'd get those symptoms with a duff coolant temp sensor or wiring to it. If it fails the ECU defaults to a 'hot' value which will make cold starts difficult.

See what the engine temp reading is with a D&M kit on it.

thedeatons

#7 Post by thedeatons »

You can disconnect the coolant sensor to fool the computer.... Might try that. Coolant sensor in front of the engine, tan colored plastic plug.

blackgixxer

#8 Post by blackgixxer »

thanks guys.i will try the above tomorrow.were can i purchase a d&m kit?

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

You can post in the "wanted" section on this site. Someone probably has one they will sell. I think you can still get new ones also, for around $300.

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Dec 22 2007, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can disconnect the coolant sensor to fool the computer.... Might try that. Coolant sensor in front of the engine, tan colored plastic plug.

What effect will this have? Not being a smart ***, I'm just curious? When I did that, it would barely run when cold. Like Wayne said, it defaults to the 'hot value'. That would make it harder to start. Or am I missing something?