hard to start dale 440

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
blackgixxer

#21 Post by blackgixxer »

the filter was soaked but i think it was mostly the carb cleaner the previous owner kept spyaing to get it to run while he was showing me the quad.If there is a clogged or dirty injector whats the best to do?send it out for a rebuild or just get a new one?thanks

peterock

#22 Post by peterock »

I know I've heard people mention getting injectors rebuilt. Never actually talked to someone that did it though. New pair of stock injectors are around $75 so I would think you are just better off to get new ones unless it only costs $10-$15 to have used ones rebuilt.

2000ex

#23 Post by 2000ex »

Where in CT are you from? I am in MA but 10 mins from the CT line

blackgixxer

#24 Post by blackgixxer »

2000 i am in litchfield county.about 35-40 minutes from hartford..I got the quad from a kid in westfield mass,actually it was used towards a trade ,i was selling a bagged dodge ram.i'll get a hold of u,we usually come up to mass to ride with my sister with the quads and the rock buggies.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

If the injectors are spraying they don't need cleaning or replacement. Injector o-rings that go in the fuel caps are readily available at any auto parts store for a few bucks as well as fuel injection fuel line. If your having leakage it might also be from a clogged quick connect that is restricting flow back to the tank. They all should be drilled out (all 4) or replaced with straight through fittings.

Fuel injectors cannot be rebuilt. They can replace the filter screen you can see in the top of them and reverse flow them with cleaning solution on a comparator machine. Your are spraying so don't waste any time or money there. The reason it starts hard is most likely it needs the throttle recalibrated and a tune. It should be done once a year or if it starts hard. If your going to own the quad you need a D&M kit for the 1000 ecm or a mil tool for the 500 ecm. Also do a compresion check. You will need 70 to 100 psi for good starting.

blackgixxer

#26 Post by blackgixxer »

im in the process of getting a d and m kit now.i know it needsa throttle cal and stuff but if u seen it now theres a bunch of dumb stuff wrong with it now that im going to get fixed up today.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

A good battery and connections are also tops on my list for things that can play games with you. Some time with a wire brush and Diaelectric grease is very worthwhile.

blackgixxer

#28 Post by blackgixxer »

well all back together and fires up first time and runs like a champ.thanks again for the help,now i can start to enjoy the dale.

blackgixxer

#29 Post by blackgixxer »

Well went to the sand pits today for about 3-4 hours and the dale ran great,no problems at all.Just takes a little long to start first thing.im suspecting that maybe the fuel pump is loosing its prime after sitting for an hour or so?besides that this thing hauls.thanks to everyone