new battery location

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
blackgixxer

#1 Post by blackgixxer »

has any one tried mounting a slightly larger battery in front of the steering stem between the aluminum rails?i have a battery that will fit(if i make a tray)and has 300 cranking amps.sealed battery,new rubber mounted tray and the right size cables.would this spot screw the airflow up bad to the radiator?i mmean we have fans on them.im getting sick of the small cc batteries.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

I put one on the rear opposite the exhaust. We also have put smaller batteries in the front but not larger. That would be a pretty tight fit up there. Why put a bigger one there though? You can get a bigger CC battery and it fit in the stock location so why not go that route?

blackgixxer

#3 Post by blackgixxer »

i like to make things hard,lol.how bigger can we go in the stock llocation?the 300 amp one i found is the same sie as stock just about 2 inches taller.

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

You can use an Optima, but they are still being tested (by us). You can go to a 12 really easy, and a 14 if you want to pull the starter every time you change the battery out. Research some of the old posts, because I have posted in depth about how the bracket being tight can kill your battery within 2 hours. Very important to know.

speed2424

#5 Post by speed2424 »

I run a 14 in 3 of my quads & haven't had to pull the starter to change the battery in any of them. I am using the stock bracket on all of them. NEVER had any problems.

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

I'm using the 515 optimum I believe. Has around 500+ cranking amps the first couple of seconds. As deatons mentioned, do a search as there are soom good posts already that have some good info.

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I had two 14 batteries and never had to remove the starter either. It wasn't easy to get in and out but it could be done. I used some washers between the bracket and the tray to get the bracket to bolt on.

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

In case no one reads the posts about batteries failing, if you tighten the clamps down at all the internal cells will crack. We went through at least 5 batteries figuring this out. That was pricey. Here is the writeup I recently did on battery replacement. Maybe we should put some of these tips into a file and sticky it..

Okay.. Long story. The original size 9 battery in the ATVs is barely enough, especially if you start in gear a lot. If you ride in cold weather, then no way. We go to the ES-12BS, or the YTZ-12, whatever Wal Mart sells in a size 12 for ATVs. They are about $53. They fit into the original mounting location. Here is the procedure:

Remove starter with two bolts. You will need two more of these starter bolts for later. Either order a pair from Black Widow ATv if you are anal (like me) or go to the local hardware store and make sure you match them up with metric bolts.

Remove inside bolt of fuel pressure regulator and swing regulator up out of the way, make sure other bolt is tight after moving the ground lugs to it. Now is a good time to place external teeth star washers between all ground lugs

Attach negative cable to battery, use star washer. Slip new size 12 battery into battery tray after charging fully!

Attach positive battery cable to battery.

Slip battery hold down bracket over the size 12 battery. Be careful not to short to positive side of battery.

Using the longer starter bolts (longer than stock battery bracket bolts), snug battery bracket down over battery, also use red loctite on bolts.

If the bracket is tight on battery, THEN LOOSEN IT UP! A bracket that is tight will crack the internal cell seperators of the battery and short the battery out, after only about 1.5 hours of riding. IT IS BETTER TO RUN THE BRACKET LOOSE THAN TIGHT. I turn those starter bolts about two to three turns in, then leave it. (Yes, the rubber spacer should stay between the bracket and the battery).

We found out about the overtightening trick after killing about 9 batteries in various quads, during various trips. Now we run them loose and they are fine. If you go a long time between rides then attach a Battery Tender Jr. The quick connect leads lets you have it ready to plug into the wall outlet at any time, and will smart trickle charge your battery for you.

Wal-Mart has another feature that is not very public. Their batteries have a warranty. Keep the receipt, then when your battery goes down take it back. Free batteries for life. This is also a good time to check your stator output on all three legs. This will ensure you are charging, and don't forget the voltage regulator!! This sounds time consuming, but since you won't really have battery problems anymore, it's no big deal. The only thing needed to change the battery is a 10mm socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet, or a ratcheting 10mm wrench. Once again, this works, and should cure your isses. If you still have problems, then you may have a current draw. Check all your wiring and add star washers everywhere! Make sure you pull your fuse everytime you change your battery!

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

I don't know why you have so much trouble with screwing up batteries and getting them in place. I make sure the bracket is tight on the battery. No I don't squeeze it to death but it fits snug. And you don't need to take the starter or anything else off to get it in.

thedeatons

#10 Post by thedeatons »

Umm.. okay, I wrote all this stuff for a reason. There are between 15-20 Dales on every trip we go on to Sand Mt. Nevada. Over five families with Dales of all kinds. We all suffered from this last year, not just me. We spent hundreds of dollars on batteries between us all, and now I am trying to save people money. Why not, hey, good post, maybe it will help someone. Everyone always needs proof or something. My proof is in the write up, which was thorough. I am not a liar, and have never been accused of being one. I wish people would simply say thanks. At least I am posting things that try to help.....