Need help deciding on a Quad trade.

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
tonost

#1 Post by tonost »

Hello I'm brand spanking new to the forum and I don't even own a Cannondale. I have an opportunity to trade my bike which is a 2004 Honda CRF450R which I only used out on the trails and has never seen a track. I'm to old to be leaving the ground for more than a second or two. This is a copy of his ad.....

2002 Cannondale 440 Black. This quad is in excellent condition and well taken care of. Adult ridden. Has low hours and is completely stock. Will consider trade for FOUR STROKE dirt bike only. Only thing it needs are new rear tires, still has the factory on it (that tells you how little I rode it). I'm taking that into consideration on the price. $2900 obo. Anything reasonable will be considered. Please email for questions...

I do love my bike and the thought of giving up my bullet proof Honda for something that may break on it's first ride really makes me sick. I've read a lot of post and I know these quads have their fair share of problems. Is there anything I should look for when I take a look at it, also how come they are not listed with Kelley Blue book or NADA, I found that odd. Thanks in advance.

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

I found them in the NADA powersports book at the last dealer I worked at. Cannondales are great, when they are updated. It would behoove you to find out what has been done to the engine. Any modifications at all should be listed and we will try to help you out as best as we can. You need to ask yourself what kind of riding you do and whether you are a fix it yourself guy or a dealership guy....

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

If it were updated it would be worth $2900. Completely stock with zero updates? $1500 maybe $2000 if it were in super condition. EX new chain some aftermarket parts.

tonost

#4 Post by tonost »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jan 17 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it were updated it would be worth $2900. Completely stock with zero updates? $1500 maybe $2000 if it were in super condition. EX new chain some aftermarket parts.

I believe it has zero updates

tonost

#5 Post by tonost »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jan 17 2008, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found them in the NADA powersports book at the last dealer I worked at. Cannondales are great, when they are updated. It would behoove you to find out what has been done to the engine. Any modifications at all should be listed and we will try to help you out as best as we can. You need to ask yourself what kind of riding you do and whether you are a fix it yourself guy or a dealership guy....

I plan to use it for desert riding and at the dunes and I never send anything to the dealer, I have shop manuals for all my toys and fix them myself.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

Well then.... Plan on updates. Minimum $800 and up, depending on your minimum requirement.. I have a spreadsheet I could send you actually, I don't think I can post Excel files.... Engine removal will be required. Dunes are pretty hard on them, we ride dunes pretty much exclusively, and if it can break, it will. Lots of people trail ride Dales, and they never see any problems, and always wonder why we break stuff. 4 Days at redline climbing 600+ ft of dunes is rough on moving parts, and everything needs to be spot on to hold together......

tonost

#7 Post by tonost »

Thanks for all your help, I've decided not to trade. I like to go on long rides and although I think it's a really cool quad I need reliability most of all.

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

If you're really interested in the Cannondales just look around. You can get an updated quad for about the same price and it will be totally reliable.