Breakin time..questions.

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Sand_Blaster

#1 Post by Sand_Blaster »

So I finally got my motor together and I'm about ready to fill her up with oils and coolant.

1. I don't have access to Redline oils.. so what is a recommended non synthetic oil for breaking in a motor with zero hours?

2. What is the best method to breaking in a CP450 piston by the way? I'm thinking of just riding the gravel roads for a couple of hours. Because the sand would be to hard on the new motor.

3. When do I know exactly when its broken in fully? So that way I can hot rod it.

4. Is it kind of similar to a 2stroke break in? Thats all I've broken in is 2strokers.

Anything else to add? Thanks guys sorry if its been discussed to much.

MyCannibal

#2 Post by MyCannibal »

just ride it...the main thing is to take a break every now and then to let it cool down...I would change the oil after every ride for a while too...

cdale88

#3 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Jan 26 2008, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just ride it...the main thing is to take a break every now and then to let it cool down...

Do not break it in with synthetic, Just regular oil. Synthetic is too slippery the rings will not seat. Also to get the rings seated properly ride it hard thru all the gears. Not on the rev limiter just hard.It is not like a 2 stroke you dont need to cycle it. you know ride let it cool ride.Just ride ,If it is like a 4 stroke bike it should be broken in about an hour. I hope one of the dale guys chime in and say yes or no to what i am saying

cdsracer

#4 Post by cdsracer »

Napa non detergent motor oil for one hour. It is cheap. The detergents are the friction modifiers that prolong break in. We do this on all of ours now, no problems.

You can always use Rotella T (BLUE JUG ONLY) t Wal Mart for standard oil changes, it is one of the best synthetics out there, and is readily available. I run Red Line, but this is my second choice. Red Line lightweight Shockproof for the tranny.

cdsracer

#5 Post by cdsracer »

BTW throttle modulation is what breaks a motor in properly, not holding it in one spot. Gear selection doesn't matter, just modulation, letting engine decelerate while in gear, etc.

Common break in is to ride it for 15 minutes at 1/4 throttle, then let cool to the touch. Then another 15 minutes at 1/2 throttle, then let it cool to the touch. The another 15 minutes at normal pace, let it cool. The heat cycling is important, they run VERY hot when breaking in. Be careful. If you do this it will be fine....

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

Sorry cdsracer, those posts were from me, I was using your computer and forgot to log out..!

Sand_Blaster

#7 Post by Sand_Blaster »

QUOTE (cdsracer @ Jan 26 2008, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW throttle modulation is what breaks a motor in properly, not holding it in one spot. Gear selection doesn't matter, just modulation, letting engine decelerate while in gear, etc.

Common break in is to ride it for 15 minutes at 1/4 throttle, then let cool to the touch. Then another 15 minutes at 1/2 throttle, then let it cool to the touch. The another 15 minutes at normal pace, let it cool. The heat cycling is important, they run VERY hot when breaking in. Be careful. If you do this it will be fine....

So you say its really good to let it decelerate in gear every so often? Just not a hard decelerate.
I'll try my best at being careful thanks for the help on this one.

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated. So it seems pretty straight forward. I'm not as scared to ruin a $430 piston now. smile.gif I'm just getting all excited to maybe be able to ride this thing....... its been forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000ex

#8 Post by 2000ex »

The accelerarion and deceleration forces the piston rings hard against the sleeve walls promoting a better piston ring seal.

Babying your brand new motor with slow running and constant throttle will not allow the rings to seat as good and may start burning a bit of oil.

There are many schools of thought when it comes to breaking in a fresh motor and I have had success with the method cdsracer mentioned.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes good method.Just make sure it doesnt get to hot.Do 3 heat cycles.NonSynthetic oil.Anything.Make sure your oil and coolant are circulating.

Sand_Blaster

#10 Post by Sand_Blaster »

I'm 90% for sure but is there a right an left injector? Like they cant be switched up right? Cause mine got changed around sad.gif ... thanks