Quads without updates?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Hacksaw830

#1 Post by Hacksaw830 »

Just curious if there were any quads without updates done to them or minimum updates done and if they are still running? how many hours on the bikes? problems? etc. please post the year model. Did any of the late Dales come with the updates performed? like stud kit and z400 bearing?

ppogue

#2 Post by ppogue »

Guess I was REALLY lucky, cause I bought my 02 in november of 01 and never did anything other than change the oil after every two weekends of racing. I finally took it apart last year to replace an impeller and the top end looked awesome. Love synthetic motor oil! I only race it now about four times a year, but it still runs awesome!

speedracer

#3 Post by speedracer »

My 03 has no updates and has given me no problems,it has about 50 hours on it,I call it old reliable!

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

The only quad I know of that is really old with a LOT of hours is cdsracer's, which is 6 years old with at least 1800 Dune miles per year for those last 6 years. He has been tracking mileage with his Vapor over the last year. It still has the original crank and crank bearing, with the only update being loctited cartridge plate bolts.

That is NOT typical though, typical is the crank bearing wearing out without warning, taking out the crank. -$450 (minimum) and an engine pull. Another typical is a cartridge plate bolt coming loose, falling into the side (bottom) of the engine, and stripping an oil scavenge pump gear. This results in puking oil out of the breather into the ECU tray (in front of the air filter).
-$100 minimum and an engine pull.

My plan each time I buy a non-updated Cannondale is to drop the engine immediately, and send the crank off for inspection. If it is salvageable, the cost is only $150. There are many other things to do and check for besides that, but that is the heart of the engine and what I feel is most important and most detrimental. I can email you a list of updates in Excel format if you PM me your email address.

Hacksaw830

#5 Post by Hacksaw830 »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ May 30 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only quad I know of that is really old with a LOT of hours is cdsracer's, which is 6 years old with at least 1800 Dune miles per year for those last 6 years. He has been tracking mileage with his Vapor over the last year. It still has the original crank and crank bearing, with the only update being loctited cartridge plate bolts.

That is NOT typical though, typical is the crank bearing wearing out without warning, taking out the crank. -$450 (minimum) and an engine pull. Another typical is a cartridge plate bolt coming loose, falling into the side (bottom) of the engine, and stripping an oil scavenge pump gear. This results in puking oil out of the breather into the ECU tray (in front of the air filter).
-$100 minimum and an engine pull.

My plan each time I buy a non-updated Cannondale is to drop the engine immediately, and send the crank off for inspection. If it is salvageable, the cost is only $150. There are many other things to do and check for besides that, but that is the heart of the engine and what I feel is most important and most detrimental. I can email you a list of updates in Excel format if you PM me your email address.

PM sent

05yfz450nj

#6 Post by 05yfz450nj »

my 02 went in the first 5 months I had it still a great quad liked it better than the yfz 450r raptor z400 The cannondale in my opinion is the best handling quad .

Nickc711

#7 Post by Nickc711 »

when i got my 2002 cannibal used.. it had the stud update from a dealer that was it....I rebuilt the engine...the main bearing was still good and so was everything else. It was also filled and ran with belray non-synthetic motorcycle oil....but the previous owner told me to change the oil every five hrs..so ??