New Cannibal owner

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
kevin444

#1 Post by kevin444 »

Hello all! I have been a Cannondale bicycle rider for as long as I can remember and now have added to my collection a Cannible! I'm not sure if this site has much life since most of the posts are from some time ago? I'm out here in Las Vegas just moved from Miami, Fl. is any one out here in this area? Well I've got a few leaks, but other than that this bike moves! Can you guys help out with the manual? The link is down. Also, how can I tell if this quad has the GP control software?......The bike has the decals with what looks like a serial number? The dude I got it from had no clue what the bike is; traded it for a yz250 smoker! I would like any help you guys / "girls" can offer. I've got what looks like an breather line missing on top of the valve covers; which blew a lot of oil out yesterday, but I'm gonna run a line down along the frame to drain somewhere.....also, I got one other leak which is coolant, maybe where a thermosat is housed on the right side of the motor......any tips, manuals, info would be greatly welcomed! I hope this site is alive and full of info....

Thanks,

Kevin
Las Vegas!
kwimberly78@cox.net

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

This site is full of useful info. Is your coolant leak coming from the weep hole? Also, are you talking about the nipple on top of the valve cover, behind the frame spar, shifter side?

peterock

#3 Post by peterock »

Welcome to the site Kevin. If you get a chance, snap a pic of where the coolant is leaking. Good chance you have a magnesium valve cover and it is corroded.

kevin444

#4 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Dec 28 2008, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This site is full of useful info.Is your coolant leak coming from the weep hole?Also,are you talking about the nipple on top of the valve cover,behind the frame spar,shifter side?

Yes the nipple, I believe....I'm glad to see such a quick response! I've been reading all types of forums for many of years yet never made a post......

I think at high revs it was blowing out the nipple; I've only put 2 hrs on the quad. Also right next to the nipple one of the bolts was hanging there; probably because the it hides behind the frame!?! The coolant leak is on the right side of the bike right behind the upper frame rail....looks like I might have to drop the motor? All I know is I have a raptor 660 and this quad has so much more power....smooth.....power! Looking forward to cleaning ger up.........the only weird thing she does is idle very high at first, but after riding she seems lower a little......at least 2000rpms or so....maybe higher.

kevin

kevin444

#5 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Dec 28 2008, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the site Kevin. If you get a chance, snap a pic of where the coolant is leaking. Good chance you have a magnesium valve cover and it is corroded.

Ok, I will very soon....you guys rock!

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

Your idle speed sounds about right for these machines. You get used to it.

kevin444

#7 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Dec 28 2008, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are some photos....the quad, the nipple "puking", and the housing where the coolant is comming from......thanks guys!

kevin444

#8 Post by kevin444 »

[quote name='speedracer' date='Dec 28 2008, 02:59 PM' post='200850']
This site is full of useful info.

The link is down for the manual.....any help here....?......I've gotten some pics and info of the ATK site, but a full manual would be awsome!

Kevin

2000ex

#9 Post by 2000ex »

If you are having oil puking out of the top of the breather you have one of two problems. Oil in tranny was way overfilled or you have an internal leak causing the engine oil to mix with the transmission oil.

The cause of that leak could be many things, cracked case, loose cartridge plate, oil bridge, etc.

kevin444

#10 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Dec 28 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are having oil puking out of the top of the breather you have one of two problems. Oil in tranny was way overfilled or you have an internal leak causing the engine oil to mix with the transmission oil.

The cause of that leak could be many things, cracked case, loose cartridge plate, oil bridge, etc.

I wish I knew more of the bikes past, but I got it for a trade and took it out for 2hrs yesterday. I'm going to drain and refill the fluids tonight...hopefully.....and put a hose on the nipple. Does the nipple normaly have a hose going to the air box? Either way it runs real good, but just has these simple leaks..I hope! It's a real fast bike, and have no idea whats been done other than exhaust and some tranny work....the gears are long and it revs for ever......thanks for the help. Oh...how would oil make it into the tranny and why would that cause it to come out the valve cover?

kevin