New Cannibal owner

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
MyCannibal

#11 Post by MyCannibal »

you picked up a nice quad by the way...

kevin444

#12 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Dec 28 2008, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you picked up a nice quad by the way...

Thanks, I'm hoping so.....just got done cleaning and plan on putting it back together as soon as possible or when the wife goes to sleep! J/K! Kinda.......was out side and a dude was riding up and down the street with a banshee, tricked out...ends up being a mechanic at a ride-it-now.....and seems cool, I can use all the help I can with these quads.....I've built many of V8's and other fun projects, but I'm all new to ATV's and what not. Just looking to have fun..........anyone out here in the west coast / Vegas area???? I'm new to this area and over whelmed with the dirt, sand, and hills.......I came from Miami, Fl where there is nothing but mud and swamp and not much land left to ride on........

Thanks again everyone.......glad to be apart of this small and unique community.....

Kevin

speedracer

#13 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (kevin444 @ Dec 28 2008, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i wish i knew more of the bikes past, but i got it for a trade and tookit out for 2hrs yesterday. i'm going to drain and reflill the fluids tonight...hopefully.....and put a hose on the nipple. does the nipple normaly have a hose going to the air box? either way it runs real good, but just has these simple leaks..i hope! its a real fast bike, and have no idea whats been done othe than exhaust and some tranny work....the gears are long and it revs for ever......thanks for the help. oh...how would oil make it into te tranny and why would that cause it to come out the valve cover?
kevin

I have an 02 speed that was puking oil, it has a cracked case. From what I was told, engine oil seeps thru the crack into the tranny, thus, overfilling the trans. It only puked at higher revs. Try draining your oil, look for metal in the oil filter. These machines seem overwhelming at first, but these guys on this site know dales inside and out, plus, parts are cheap and plentiful.

MyCannibal

#14 Post by MyCannibal »

and by the way...don't let the dude on the Banshee work on your quad unless he has dealt with Cannondales before...

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

I sent you a link to the manuals on my site. It's a shame you didn't still leave in Miami, as that is where I am & I would have been glad to give you a hand. If I was in Vegas, I would look up Black Widow ATV in Utah (his name and number are in the sponsers section of this site). Download the owners manual, engine service manual & parts listing (chassis & engine)for your bike. Print them up and put them in binders for future use.

On your bike the nipple you are showing is a vent for the tranny side of the engine and if oil is coming out this vent in any quantity you probably have it overfilled. Are you aware that there are two seperate oiling systems on the Cannondale? One does the left side of the motor and trans, the other does the cams, valves and crankshaft. The oil fill for the engine side is under the right headlight housing in the frame. The trans oil is filled via the fill plug on the left side of the motor above the clutch cover. The drain plugs are on the lower right hand side of the motor. The engine oil is drained via the smaller drain plug, the tranny is the bigger plug. When draining engine oil, you need to drain the frame spars (tanks) via two bleed type screws located near where your water leak is on the underside of the frame spar and another one located down low behind the motor in the frame on the left side. This is on top of the oil filter cavity and drain plug.

Do some reading and come back with your questions!

Good Luck.

NRath

#16 Post by NRath »

First of all- Welcome!

My .02 on your Q's...
That missing vent line from the top of the side cover should run down the frame on the left side to the ground (by the starter solenoid). There is possibly (well, probably) a "cross" in front and above the radiator that it originally ran to. Early models, the hose ran to the ground, later models ran it to the cross for EPA reasons. If you have the cross, I'd suggest either replacing it with a T if available or capping off the unused barb. If it's leaking here, overfill is most likely. There's a sight glass on the left side by the shifter- should be about midway in the glass.

Your coolant leak could be a couple places- water pump cover, weep hole, and nipple on the coolant tank are the most likely culprits. The 1/16" weep hole is just below the water pump. If it's leaking there, there's a seal that should be replaced.

Kdeal hit on several good points and Brad at Blackwidow. Blackwidow's site also has all the manuals for the machine's. I don't think the owner's manual is there, though. You definitely need to look through it for some how-to info on oil checking and replacing. We've got a couple other great vendors such as Canniboomer on the west coast and some specialty guys. If you have any problems finding anything, let us know.

There have been a couple C'dale guys around Vegas, I can't remember names off the top of my head, but they'll probably chime in.

I'd suggest starting another thread about what to check on your new to you machine. Oil filters and the clutch plates are at the top of the list. All the power takes it's toll on the inside plate, so you might save yourself some trouble checking it early.

kevin444

#17 Post by kevin444 »

Hello all!

Thanks again for all the info; I'm glad this community is alive and informative! "kdeal" I did get the link for the manuals......"mycannable" I'm not planning on having the dude with the Banshee work on the bike, rather just glad I found someone in the "hood" to jang with and give an extra hand......and to the rest of all you that chimed in......not sure the status with oil yet since I did not know the condition when I rode it the other day, kinda just took it out and beat on it! One question.....I removed the cover to where the oil filter is but I could not remove anything from inside and did not want to start prying anything; besides it was like 2 in the mourn.....got the itch! I plan on taking a look at he filter, fixing the nipple with a hose which I already got and topping the fluids. Will be hitting the dirt either tuesday or wens....and seeing what the results are!?! Hopefully there is no cracks or any major problems! I mentioned earlier that I got decals for the GP control software on the bike along with what looks like a serial # decal.....How can I determine if this quad has any software installed and if so what cables do I need to log into the computer?

Also, anyone out here in Vegas or close.....would be real cool to hook up and shoot @$%$ with someone with a USA made quad!

kevin

MyCannibal

#18 Post by MyCannibal »

The quad had an ECU (silver box)under the hood in front of the steering stem...you need the D&M software and a laptop to control the ECU and to give it different parameters...sounds complicated but its not...all the help you need is going to be right here on this site.

kevin444

#19 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Dec 30 2008, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The quad had an ECU (silver box)under the hood in front of the steering stem...you need the D&M software and a laptop to control the ECU and to give it different parameters...sounds complicated but its not...all the help you need is going to be right here on this site.

WELL!!!!!,

I cleaned the oil / trany filter and put all new fluids in.........took it out ot the local hills / dunes. She was still leaking coolant on the right side about an inch below where the bleed valve is.....It looks like some type of pressure relief valve; just little droplets, but still it was leaking. I took her out and she was running awsome for about 15 mins....untill......with no signs the head gasket blew!!!!! WTF! I figrue that it probably had a hurt gasket and I just finished it off! pissed, but kinda glad since I now get to pull the motor and take a look at everything. Any tips on this job? Where or who is the best to get parts from especially a gasket? Also, I would like to get a bolt kit of some sort? Thanks again for all the help.....I plan on ripping her down tonight after dinner....

kevin