Maybe getting my first c'dale

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
blueshee87

#1 Post by blueshee87 »

I was told the model is fx432 has ohlins suspension and stainless braided lines.
I have the ID# can anyone tell me if there is a way to look up update records
ID#
5B6AB31331B000084
I was told all the updates were done and he bought it from a guy in Kentucky.

Thanks
Kevin

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

Does the seller know who did the updates? I don't think you can look-up the VIN number to find out any update info. You can use that number to get you factory settings, when the quad was built, ect. Do some research on updates here, ask the seller if you could do a little closer look at the quad to see what is really done. I think the z-400 crank bearing would be my biggest update. Look for an aluminum camcover also.

Good-luck.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

Exactly what speed said. I would really push on finding out if the crank was updated. But then again, how much are you buying it for?

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

With the vin, you can tell what model it was originally built as. Other than that, assume no updates are done. Even if the crank was updated, what does it really matter? It may have been, but maybe not. You have to tear it apart to find out for sure, so is it really worth any more with supposed updates? Not really.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

...maybe getting your first Cannondale?....that's a good attitude.
Not many of us can own just one!

From the VIN, that's a 2001 FX400 (early Cannibal). Member kDeal might have more info,... and the original motor number.
It might have gone back through the factory for the S-1000 ECU conversion, and a different case....but that's a maybe.
The original motor would have had a vintage Aluminum valvecover.

You really need to check closer, and take detail pics to confirm external features....and what may have been done on the outside.
I would want to know if it has an original (non-modded) John Deere case. If it's confirmed as a so-called JD case, you will need to pull the flywheel and take a peek to confirm the conversion.....Call for details.
If the owner does not know, or does not even own a flywheel puller?.....hmmmn be cautious about internal work having been done by him, or by the previous owner. If the original case has been converted?...it's a good platform regardless of internal motor condition.

blueshee87

#6 Post by blueshee87 »

He said he replaced the magneto and it had a black side cover that said cannondale. So would this be the updated side cover on there?

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

Have him give you the motor number listed on the tag above the front sprocket on the motor. If there is no tag, there maybe a number stamped into the back of the motor above the swingarm pivot.

blueshee87

#8 Post by blueshee87 »

He is looking for the number for me. He said the following things were done:
balanced flywheel
impellor
balanced crank
and z bearings.

blueshee87

#9 Post by blueshee87 »

Is $2100 a fair price it needs front tires.

rayspeed

#10 Post by rayspeed »

Going only off of what has been said here most people would probably agree that it is probably not worth that much.
More info and pics would be needed and would largely depend on its condition... even then I would say $1500 tops right now in this market.