'02 speed-what do you think..should I keep it?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
flyinarmbar

#11 Post by flyinarmbar »

Ok so if I pull the motor what would be the first fix. Please tell me, the order at which to do motor updates and about how much the part is. Is the z bearing from the suzuki z400? Someone offered me a worked Suzuki ltr250 in great shape........

riverat1540

#12 Post by riverat1540 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 18 2011, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A grand goes quick when getting into these.

+1 and thats if everything else besides the motor is up to par

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Crank.Yours probably isnt salvageable.So new one with Z installed,going to balance the crank?Some new ones are way out,New crank mainbearings,One way bearing.Thats getting close to a grand and head still hasnt been gone over.It adds up.

flyinarmbar

#14 Post by flyinarmbar »

Thanks for the advice members. I just talked to Tim and think I'm gonna pull the motor and take a drive over to his shop, it's only 7hrs away. Anyone know how much it would be to ship the motor? Man I wish it fit into one of those U.S. Postal Service boxes that is one flat rate! Thanks again for the help. I'm pumped now that I'm gonna keep it. Tim is going to do the crank bearing, port/polish, map, and check internals!! Looking at about 10-12 hp and reliability. Sweet!!

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool! Most of us use a Ice Cube cooler to ship motor in. Its about $70 FedEx from WI to Timbo so should be cheaper for you.

MX Quad Dad

#16 Post by MX Quad Dad »

some other things to do that don't cost much are gut the quick disconnects and clean all grounds then reassemble with star washers. I also put a hose clamp around coolant bottle cap. I think there is a thread that gives a list of mods or updates and a few are low cost and just lessen the chance of some little glitch from ruining your weekend.

cannondalemaine

#17 Post by cannondalemaine »

That's great you are keeping it! Even with it just bein ported and polished most quads will have a hard time keeping up. I have one that is a ported 432 with 50hp, has been nothing but reliable since redone. I pretty much use this quad for everything drags, Mx, and ice racing. Lately it has been a holeshot hellion on the ice even against the 500 cc yfz450 that comes to the ice races. I am sure you will love the quad even more.

flyinarmbar

#18 Post by flyinarmbar »

Thanks for the replies, You're getting me excited. Hey 'dale27, By ice cube cooler do you mean a styrofoam throwaway or an igloo cooler with wheels type. 70 or less beats a 7hr drive, i did want to check out Tims shop and pick his brain. I'd be very happy with 50 hp and reliability. Gutted the disconnects already. Then I just have to put Dave's A arm ball joint kit and a couple of hose updates and I'm all set.

cannondalemaine

#19 Post by cannondalemaine »

This is what he meant by a cooler. I have sent a few of my engines out and this is what I and most others here use. The engine fits perfectly into it. I want to say its about 2'-1'6''-1'4'' dont quote me on that but its close. I have not had any problems with damage while using these coolers.

jesshamner

#20 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (cannondalemaine @ Jan 21 2011, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what he meant by a cooler. I have sent a few of my engines out and this is what I and most others here use. The engine fits perfectly into it. I want to say its about 2'-1'6''-1'4'' dont quote me on that but its close. I have not had any problems with damage while using these coolers.

I actually used the cooler that is a cube. The bottom wedges down in there really well.