Valve cover continued...

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Bill X_R

#1 Post by Bill X_R »

Shouldn't I be looking at a pitted - dangerously close to contaminating the engine oil mess? I've had the green engine coolant in the quad since it left the factory. I didn't change it because apparently I misread the forum back in 03'. Dont get me wrong I'm pumped it looks as good as it does, but equally confused?

By the way thanks for all the info I'm getting from these forums. I'm sure there is instructions somewhere here on how to make a donation - I'll be sure and do just that.

Thanks

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

I think the black valve cover was the updated valve cover and should be ok.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

From the gray silicone at the junction points Id say it was changed allready. The factory black ones were some crappy paint and not a good powdercoat so they dont protect much . If it was redone you can see the pits will have been powdecoated over but you need to spin the impellar off to see under it. I have dozens of extra redone covers if you want to change it or you can pay the big bucks for an aluminum one. You need to run evans even with a refurbished cover as it wont protect 100percent . The engine and radiator need to be completely blown out to make sure there is no water in the system before switching to evans.

who_gives_a6

#4 Post by who_gives_a6 »

The black one will still pit but not sure how long or what it takes. I have a black one that bubbled and started to corrode through. Switched it to aluminum.

Bill X_R

#5 Post by Bill X_R »

Once again a wealth of information at my finger tips - what a great resource. I'll leave the cover alone because it looks good and switch the coolant to evens. Thanks again

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Is that silicone in corners or corrosion? It looks similar. If so thats what is being talked about.

Bill X_R

#7 Post by Bill X_R »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ May 1 2011, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that silicone in corners or corrosion? It looks similar. If so thats what is being talked about.

Thankfully Silicone smile.gif