clutch cover

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
haulinit

#11 Post by haulinit »

From what I have read mag does not like to be polished.

joedirt

#12 Post by joedirt »

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

That's an old one! Lots of goodies on that one. Aluminum side cover, aluminum valve cover & aluminum clutch cover!

2000ex

#14 Post by 2000ex »

Yeah, and that great main bearing. A bit on the high side price wise for the work that would need to be done on it. Too bad they are parting the entire bike, it would be worth something all together someday

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

To bad you have to put so much work into a fx400 to make them work. Id say $400-$500 would be agood price for that one without a teardown inspection.
I know atk made flat clutch cover by I assume machining the cannondale off them but I dont remember ever seeing a flat cover on an fx400 engine. That one also has an aluminum side cover as well. Cool

who_gives_a6

#16 Post by who_gives_a6 »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Aug 26 2011, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, and that great main bearing. A bit on the high side price wise for the work that would need to be done on it. Too bad they are parting the entire bike, it would be worth something all together someday

I posted pics of this bike a few months back in the post MX400 in the bike forum. I almost bought it but instead got an E model. The guy sold it to a parts yard for $850 complete and running with title when I last spoke to him. Its supposedly the first MX400 shipped to California 100% stock and untouched other than like 20hrs of riding. Still had original oil in it I believe he said though. So the guy parting it of course is looking for some quick cash and not to collect. Im like 20mins from its location.

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Aug 26 2011, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To bad you have to put so much work into a fx400 to make them work. Id say $400-$500 would be agood price for that one without a teardown inspection.
I know atk made flat clutch cover by I assume machining the cannondale off them but I dont remember ever seeing a flat cover on an fx400 engine. That one also has an aluminum side cover as well. Cool

It's not a FX400 motor, it's a MX400 motor (motorcycle). I have seen several of these clutch covers. The MX400 motor does not have the John Deere bolt either. That was made when the motor went into a quad. It may or may not have the bad crank bearing I have seen both. I would guess that it does on this motor though......

promod

#18 Post by promod »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 26 2011, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not a FX400 motor, it's a MX400 motor (motorcycle). I have seen several of these clutch covers. The MX400 motor does not have the John Deere bolt either. That was made when the motor went into a quad. It may or may not have the bad crank bearing I have seen both. I would guess that it does on this motor though......

Kdeal, Not to try to start anything as your C'Dale knowledge has always impressed me! But as one of the first C'Dale dealer in the very begining, the first run of the production very low VIN numbered MX400 Bikes and the four we first got in HAD the "John Deere Bolt Case" engines in them and 3 of them came WITH the logo'd clutch access cover, which all locked up and the engines in them was replaced by the next generation case motors sent by C'Dale to install in them!, i still have one of the "JD Bolt Case" complete motors that came out of one of those mentioned early MX400's bikes!, But im not saying that engine he has is one though, but with the blank cover i would almost bet its a "JD"! Ciao!

kdeal

#19 Post by kdeal »

I don't hae any extra knowledge of the early stuff, just what I have came acroos on my own. Wistech was privledged to have picked up a lot of FX400 enf=gines in the beginning for a song, so he has as much experience with that motor as anyone. I have 2 MX400 motors under my bench right now and can tell you neither is a JD bolt case. You can tell the origin by deciphering the engine number. The newer cases especially for motorcyles get even more complicated. I'll bet I can tell for sure whether or not it's a JD case by just the engine number.

promod

#20 Post by promod »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 26 2011, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't hae any extra knowledge of the early stuff, just what I have came acroos on my own. Wistech was privledged to have picked up a lot of FX400 enf=gines in the beginning for a song, so he has as much experience with that motor as anyone. I have 2 MX400 motors under my bench right now and can tell you neither is a JD bolt case. You can tell the origin by deciphering the engine number. The newer cases especially for motorcyles get even more complicated. I'll bet I can tell for sure whether or not it's a JD case by just the engine number.

K, On two of the MX400 JD motors (one complete, one not) i have the engine numbers both are MAA5B1XXXXXX, on the later MX400 (non-JD) motors i have the motor numbers are the same MAA5B1XXXXXX? All thats diff is the last 6 numbers, and the non-JD motors have lower numbers? huh.gif