starting problems

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
kdeal

#31 Post by kdeal »

Did you get her going?

lenrob

#32 Post by lenrob »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 13 2007, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you get her going?

We still haven't had a chance to work on it. I plan on getting to it in the next couple of days. I will let you guys in on what I find out asap.

lenrob

#33 Post by lenrob »

Here's the update we took the motor back apart set the timing again. It was not off to begin with but had to start somewhere. put it all back together, we have spark and fuel but will not run. It seems like the injectors are firing at the wrong time.

harleypitbull1

#34 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (lenrob @ Feb 25 2007, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the update we took the motor back apart set the timing again. It was not off to begin with but had to start somewhere. put it all back together, we have spark and fuel but will not run. It seems like the injectors are firing at the wrong time.

I think I spoke with the guy who owns this thing a couple weeks ago. He called me and ask some questions. I dont know if anyone else has had this problem. I went back through my motor this week after a decomp failed. I went to put everything back in time using the TDC bolt and was unable to get the bottom timing chain gear to spline up correctly on the crank. Not sure if this is normal. So after I put it on, I spun the motor over by hand back to TDC and both cams were off by one tooth using the marks. I would not go by the marks becuase of this. Easiest way to me is to spin crank to top dead center, when the mark is lined up, one tooth on the cam idler gear is sticking straight up. Count off this tooth to set the cams in place. Like I said, I did it with the marks on everything and then turned it over and both cams were off, I guess because of play in timing chain to get the lower gear splined up. It would not go on at top dead center and when you spun the gear a little to line it up, the chain moved the cams just a little to get the gear on. I guess that was enough movement to get it out of time. But you have to make sure that the piston is at TDC when you time the cams to put everything together. I think the ecu is what tells the injectors to mist, The map has something to do with it on injector offset settings I believe is the way boomer explained it to me.

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

It is normal to need to move slightly to get gear on splines but once guides are on and at tension that tooth should be straight up and in center of indent or you probably need a new chain.

If injectors are firing at wrong time I bet your flywheel is spun or keyway sheared.

harleypitbull1

#36 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Mar 3 2007, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is normal to need to move slightly to get gear on splines but once guides are on and at tension that tooth should be straight up and in center of indent or you probably need a new chain.

If injectors are firing at wrong time I bet your flywheel is spun or keyway sheared.

After I spun the motor around five times it came back to the tooth being straight up and all the marks lining up correctly but by trying to set it by marks to start with, they would not line up right. Do you have to drop the cams in after you put the piston to TDC? I already had my cams in, so maybe that was my problem.

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

Oh are you saying that after rotating motor the marks werent lined up?That is normal.I never tried but I thought it took alot more than five rotations to get them to line up again.And yes you always get motor at TDC before installing cams in correct position.If you install them wrong and then rotate you could bend a valve.Turning over by hand though odds are damage wouldnt be done as long as you dont let motor snap around when coming off cams.Sounds like your final result is right on either way though.

331saleen

#38 Post by 331saleen »

hey guys, I am back and the quad is still not running. Lenrob and I checked the compression today. I have bad news, no compression. Something else is weird, when you place your hand over the sparkplug hole (with no plug in) it is acting like it is sucking air in, is this normal. I think we are going to try to tear down the motor again, soon. Lenrob or I will try to keep everyone informed. Thanks again for the help on this.

cannondale27

#39 Post by cannondale27 »

Look in the intake/exhaust ports to see if you dropped a valve.

lenrob

#40 Post by lenrob »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Mar 21 2007, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look in the intake/exhaust ports to see if you dropped a valve.

I finnally got the C Dale going. I did not have to take the engine back out. I unhooked the fuel pump and sprayed either down the throttle body and finnally got her fired and running on what I had sprayed in the intake and got the rings seated. It took a while and about burnt up a new starter.