FX 400 Starting problem

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cdale88

#11 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 25 2008, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should still be spark even with a bad stator.If that key was sheared it may feel like its engaging the flywheel but flywheel could be way off.

Ok Wiestech said about crank bearing so I checked again. There does not seem to be any play but when I crank it over the crank shaft looks like it not really wobbles but not exactly round. There is no leaking by seal. I dont want to do major damage but I dont want to waste money.Without taking it apart how can I tell if the bearing is bad. Also I rebuilt a few engines before how hard is the dale.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Have you taken the plug out and turned it over by hand?If it goes good and smooth by hand I would keep forging ahead to get it to run.How does the flywheel key look?

cdale88

#13 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 25 2008, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you taken the plug out and turned it over by hand?If it goes good and smooth by hand I would keep forging ahead to get it to run.How does the flywheel key look?

Yes the plug is out, It does go up and down fine no binding. Should I be worried about the crankshaft looking a little (wobble).Almost nothing. Again thanks for the help.How can I check the coil.

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

That wobble could be because your flywheel isnt seated on the crank correctly.I assume you havent removed flywheel to check crank properly.FLYWHEEL KEY?

cdale88

#15 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 26 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That wobble could be because your flywheel isnt seated on the crank correctly.I assume you havent removed flywheel to check crank properly.FLYWHEEL KEY?

Yes, I did Take the fly wheel off and key is fine. With the flywheel I got I have another flywheel sensor I will try and Speed2424 was nice to offer to loan me a coil to see if that is the problem.I can't belive how nice you guys are. I don't want to get mushey(lol) but these cannondale sites are like one big family. But I have a few things to do this morning and later I will try the sensor and go from there.Thanks.

UpsMan

#16 Post by UpsMan »

Is this a NEW flywheel? Could you have bought a used one that was already spun? The keyway should line up with the C. Have you checked to make sure you are getting fuel?

Jctmotorsports

#17 Post by Jctmotorsports »

I'll bet a dollar the main bearing failed, Look in the oil filter.
Chuck

cdale88

#18 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (Jctmotorsports @ Jan 26 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll bet a dollar the main bearing failed, Look in the oil filter.
Chuck

The keyway lines up with the C and I will check the oil filter tomorrow, Also I am not getting fuel. I had taken off the top line to the fuel pump to see it there was fuel does it need to be bled or primed.

UpsMan

#19 Post by UpsMan »

If you take the fuel line off the top of the fuel pump and turn the ignition on, fuel should spray out of there, and lots of it! If it doesn't, you found a problem.

cdale88

#20 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jan 27 2008, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you take the fuel line off the top of the fuel pump and turn the ignition on, fuel should spray out of there, and lots of it! If it doesn't, you found a problem.

Ok checked the oil filter and worst fear but please confirm in the oil filter were clumps of gold colored filings. I guess wistech and Jctmotorsports were right.Rats.Kevin if you are reading I will be giving you a call to get some info.