black cdale's post pics

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
desertbound

#11 Post by desertbound »

I think what he meant was in reference to the natural flame dale you have in your avatar. You either repainted the plastics to green flames, or you have another dale with an equally impressive paintjob.

desertbound

#12 Post by desertbound »

You have an awesome talent. that looks great.

Here is what I did to my yfz.

[attachment=6949:maiden.jpg]

big.elk.hunter

#13 Post by big.elk.hunter »

Oh I see!! Ya I have another set of plastics that I painted. sorry I didn't catch that!!

desertbound

#14 Post by desertbound »

I'd like to see those other plastics too. Pretty impressive.

claas900

#15 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (big.elk.hunter @ Aug 17 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what do you mean "what happened to the flames?" thats how I painted them. yes, the plastics are really red, but I filled in the recesses and painted them black with the flames and cross with skulls.
As for when we are gonna get together.......when ever. I may have seen you a couple weeks ago on the Nampa/Caldwell blvd. there was a tahoe(?) pulling a trailer with two quads, one of which was a 'dale. was that you?? where do you do most of your riding?

chris

Looks Great,care to give some step by step on how to do it? wink.gif

big.elk.hunter

#16 Post by big.elk.hunter »

Claas900 which part do you want instructions on? the prepping, the painting or the flames? or all of it?

desertbound the other plastics are the ones with the green flames. the originals are the ones with the red/orange flames on them. I will see if i can find a pic of the original plastics.

claas900

#17 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (big.elk.hunter @ Aug 18 2008, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Claas900 which part do you want instructions on? the prepping, the painting or the flames? or all of it?
desertbound the other plastics are the ones with the green flames. the originals are the ones with the red/orange flames on them. I will see if i can find a pic of the original plastics.

mainly the prep and paint. I've done a lot of reading online but everyone has a different way. But I'm glad to get advice from someone who's got the experience and looks good. How well does it hold up, years or? I really wouldn't mind buying like a kit but I wouldn't know whats good or not if there is such a thing?

big.elk.hunter

#18 Post by big.elk.hunter »

class900-the most important part of painting plastics, especialy atv plastics is the prep work. you need to get the surface really really clean. you need to remove as much of the mold-release agent from the plastic surface and pores. yes plastic is porous. I work in a body shop as a painter for a living. the brand of paint we use is Diamont, it is made by RM.
First you should clean the plastic with a plastic cleaner (RM #902). then it is best if you can bake the plastic (or set out in the sun on a hot day) to get more of the mold-release agent out of the pores of the plastic. then you need to scuff the surface of the plastic very well with a grey scotchbrite pad. I usually use a Super degreaser by Meguiars with the scotchbrite to help clean the surface better. then rinse very well.
After the surface is dry spray one coat of plastic primer (RM Glassurit #934-70). then apply paint as per mfr recomendations.
If you have any more quesions feel free to ask.

chris

MyCannibal

#19 Post by MyCannibal »

obviously you cant do any trail riding with a paint job like that right?

big.elk.hunter

#20 Post by big.elk.hunter »

Oh ya I do a lot of trail riding!! I bought my 'dale to ride not just look pretty!! Although I am careful not to just run it through trees and sagebrush. most of the paint damage actually comes from the front tires kicking up rocks and hitting the front of the rear fenders. other than a few rock chips the paint holds up just fine. we just got back a couple weeks ago from a week long camping trip in the mountains where I rode my 'dale as much as my ribs would allow!(the night before leaving, I fell on my ribs on the bed rail of my pickup and either broke or bruised my ribs real good!!). the rest of the time I rode my dirtbike, because it was smoother riding.

chris