new battery location

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Happyboy

#21 Post by Happyboy »

I did it to clean up the engine area. I am not a professional rider and I don't race MX so I don't notice the weight difference it makes to the rear area. I have very easy access to the battery now, and i think it looks tons better up front now that the fuel pump and battery are relocated.

And you could make an arguement for the balancing affect it has with the exhaust. tongue.gif

cdsracer

#22 Post by cdsracer »

The original Yuasa lasted three years in my quad. When I replaced it, I installed an Odyssey PC310. It didn????????t get me more than 300 feet from camp before it failed completely. I got towed back and put in a Wal-Mart battery that is still working. So far, I????????ve had the best experience with the Yuasas.

We had 6 Pc310????????s in 6 dales, all failed within the first day of use. I sent them all back directly to Odyssey, they did an autopsy and found that all the batteries we had received were an older design before they were using an epoxy in them to protect against vibration. Odyssey replaced all of them with new ones free of charge. They are going to be installed and run on the dunes this weekend.

We also found that if an oversized (larger than stock: 12, 14 etc..) of ANY brand is installed with the battery strap overtightened, it will cause the battery to fail. I spoke directly with Yuasa about this. The guy I spoke with explained that if the battery casing is squeezed, it will cause an internal short. We saw this failure on a number of quads (in one day) and found that on all of them that failed, the strap had been overtightened. By installing spacers between the strap and the tray, the problem was alleviated. Obviously, the stock size battery does not have this issue.

If the quad is tuned well and the charging system is working correctly, it is not necessary to run anything larger than a stock size battery. We have found that in very cold weather (sub-zero), the larger batteries tend to hang in there a little longer, but like I said, if all is working properly, not absolutely necessary.

Our group certainly has had its share of battery failures. But, how many groups take monthly trips with anywhere between one and two dozen cannondales and run them all for three days on the dunes? For the most part, we have had very good reliability. In extreme cases, we have run into problems and have found fixes for all of them. I think that James is just trying to save others from the same trouble we've run into with the mistakes we've made.

claas900

#23 Post by claas900 »

I never said Cdale had a bad idea putting the batt were its at. In fact its a very good spot. Plz reread my post,and reread his post" If your really looking for more things to do" also " I like to make things hard". I was just saying I've seen it done. Not everything is done for performance some things are done for cosmetic's reasons.

Happyboy

#24 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jan 9 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not everything is done for performance some things are done for cosmetic's reasons.

Exactly...hence my location. And it makes taking the motor out that much easier. smile.gif Love doing R&D. Well, I guess loved since I haven't done any in a while.

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

I vote for stock Yuasa also for best performance.I am interested in your batt mount Happyboy did you use something from another make for mount?

thedeatons

#26 Post by thedeatons »

I am also interested in that, like a nice stainless surround, as I am putting the battery in back of my Super Single subframe (inside the solo tail section)...

Happyboy

#27 Post by Happyboy »

I used a 400ex battery box. I welded on 2 tabs to the subframe, then bolted it on.

kdeal

#28 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (cdsracer @ Jan 9 2008, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We also found that if an oversized (larger than stock: 12, 14 etc..) of ANY brand is installed with the battery strap overtightened, it will cause the battery to fail. I spoke directly with Yuasa about this. The guy I spoke with explained that if the battery casing is squeezed, it will cause an internal short. We saw this failure on a number of quads (in one day) and found that on all of them that failed, the strap had been overtightened. By installing spacers between the strap and the tray, the problem was alleviated. Obviously, the stock size battery does not have this issue.

Just one note to clarify what you said. The stock "9" series battery is the exact same size as the "12" series battery. The "14" series battery is slightly larger in height only (about 1/4"). Since the strap holds the battery down, when tightened on the taller batteries it can "squish" the battery causing the examples he is mentioning. I have one of each size Yuasa battery installed in my quads (9 series, 12 series, 14 series), and I have had no issues. BUT I did shim the battery strap higher to accomodate the extra height on the 14 series battery (some OEM battery straps have two rubber isolators glued together instead of one thicker one and you can just remove one layer to do the same thing). One other issue that has been mentioned is that some other brand batteries have a slightly larger case size, even though they are replacement batteries for the numbers above. A few years back, one guy got pretty upset when he swore that an off brand battery he bought would not fit in the battery tray, and everyone on the site swore it did. I think a razor knife around the edges of the battery box opening fixed the problem.

Also, don't forget that worn out components (battery tray and strap isolators) can wear out and cause a loose fit, having a similar short out problem due the extra vibration.

cdsracer

#29 Post by cdsracer »

Just one note to clarify what you said. The stock "9" series battery is the exact same size as the "12" series battery. The "14" series battery is slightly larger in height only (about 1/4").

Ahh, herein lies the discrepancy.

For the EverStart batteries and some of the brands you get at CKS and Napa, the 9 is the same as the Yuasa 9, but the 12 is taller and the 14 is taller still. The 12 fits nicely with the strap shimmed and the 14 is very difficult to squeeze into place. I don't think I've ever been able to slide a 14 in without removing the starter and regulator.

kdeal

#30 Post by kdeal »

I have used Yuasa batteries exclusively in the Cannondales and don't have the same problem. Since the Yuasa is the OEM choice the others are replacement batteries not built to the same specs. That is where the other guy got so upset. I have always just bent over and paid the higher price of the Yuasa batteries, but I am looking at the Odyssey batteries as an alternative if they fit properly. I have decided that the "14" series is not worth the price and hassle to keep buying. I personally will be using the "9" or "12" series batteries from now on. I think Wistech did a write-up on this a while back and the higher amp batteries are not needed with a properly tuned bike.