FX 400 Starting problem

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
wistech

#21 Post by wistech »

Well if its a true fx400 then thats the first thing to fail. They usually dont last very long so on a good note your engine should be in good shape. Timbo can update the bearing housing and the crank for the new bearing . The one thing you really really need to do is flush the frame and change the oil filter every 10 minutes until the brass stops collecting in it. I recommend a mesh filter for this as your engine should have one already.

cdale88

#22 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jan 27 2008, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if its a true fx400 then thats the first thing to fail. They usually dont last very long so on a good note your engine should be in good shape. Timbo can update the bearing housing and the crank for the new bearing . The one thing you really really need to do is flush the frame and change the oil filter every 10 minutes until the brass stops collecting in it. I recommend a mesh filter for this as your engine should have one already.

Thanks, I guess I will take out the engine either today or next week.

speed2424

#23 Post by speed2424 »

QUOTE (cdale88 @ Jan 27 2008, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gold colored filings.

"GOLD!!!! I've hit it rich"!!!!

Call me if you need anything..

cdale88

#24 Post by cdale88 »

Thanks to Speed2424 I got my engine apart and yes it was the Main Bearing. I had a couple of small problems nothing bad but If I had not rode the quad before the tear-down I dont know if I would of kept the quad.But I did and I am going to re-build. It really should not cost too much.Too my pleasant supprise when I finally opened her up besides the main bearing being shot the rest of the engine looked brand new. The crank is perfect along with everything else. And I mean it looks like it came off the factory line. Also the clutch inner and outer basket have no ware they are perfectly smooth. Is this normal I never saw anything so old with no ware.I am impressed. This is why I want to rebuild, If it was real bad maybe I would not. So anyone who has a bad crank bearing and is not sure weather to re-build do it , it is worth the money.It will be a few weeks maybe a month or two but it will be up and running, I just want to take my time and do it right. If I have a couple of extra bucks maybe even a little porting. Thanks for all the help, I will keep in touch for the re-build.I will contact you speed2424.

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

Good for you.You are doing it right and will not regret it.These things are worth the extra effort.