My first Cannondale

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
gml1998

#31 Post by gml1998 »

Well, the cannondale still will not star.I rechecked flywheel,it looks fine,I did not pull the flywheel to check stator I do not have a flywheel puller yet.I disconnected regulator from stator and tried to start.I sprayed ether , no go.It will occasionally pop through the throttle body and I can see fire in the hole.

Will a D&M kit help me figure out what is going on?I just picked up an engine service manual , hoping it will help me figure things out.

Any additional suggestions would be great.

Does anyone know of someone in the chicago area that they could reccomend to fix the quad if I can't figure this out.

I really don't want to part it out.

Thanks again.Gary.

cannondale27

#32 Post by cannondale27 »

Next most logical step is to check compression.

peterock

#33 Post by peterock »

I would be curious as to your stator as well. I haven't checked on personally yet but I believe there is a way to test them to make sure they are putting out the correct voltage. You could have a winding that is rubbed through or exposed.

gml1998

#34 Post by gml1998 »

Next chapter.
I did compression test it read 60 psi dry, 70 psi wet.While I was cranking to do the compression test The motor locked up and would not crank,you could hear the starter click.I took a large pair of channel locks and turned engine back a 1\4 turn then it would crank again.It did this twice ,now I'm not sure if I want it to start for fear of a major engine melt down. Any advice from anyone would be grateful.Thanks .Gary

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

Pull the motor.Something is wrong hopefully just decomp but more likely valve.Dont turn the motor over anymore.Sucks but hopefully it isnt too much damage.

gml1998

#36 Post by gml1998 »

I'm trying to contact the previous owner to see if he will shed any light on this bike.I would like to find out what ,if any, work thats been done on motor .This will help me decide if I should repair the problem or send motor to get rebuilt altogether.If the motor has to come out I might as well get it done properly.

I would like to thank all those who have read the posts and helped me along.
Gary

cool_dude_dotcom

#37 Post by cool_dude_dotcom »

I would tear in to the motor. It sounds like the crank wore out. I had that happen to my orginal one and it cauced the piston to tweek a little and get jamed against the cylinder wall.

gml1998

#38 Post by gml1998 »

Well.Looks like I've got 4 options.Remove existing engine and have it taken down to figure out how much work it needs.Find a replacement engine.Part out quad , or look for a replacement quad.
I'm open for suggestions.Thanks.Gary.

cdale55

#39 Post by cdale55 »

That sucks . I think everyone here on this site has done some kind of motor work on there quads. If you are willing to spend a little bit there is some very good engine builders on this site. Wistech , Timbo , Cannondale27 are the ones I have dealt with and they have been great . My advise to you is to send your motor out whole and have them take it apart and tell you what you need . Just my 2 cents !

ciscorc

#40 Post by ciscorc »

i agree with cdale55. My recommendation would be to send the motor out to have it looked at,and not part out your quad. A experienced person might crack your engine open and find a simple problem that can easily be fixed. Buying a used engine might not be the best solution either because you don't always know what you are getting and you could wind up making an expensive mistake. There are plenty of reputable people on here that would easily be able to tell what is wrong with your motor and make it right.

just my opinion