new battery location

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
trav

#31 Post by trav »

i use to run with 2 batteries, 2nd mounted infront of steer stem, custom made alum. tray and positioned high enough you still have access to steer bearing maintance.

i have pics i can upload latter if interested?

currently i'm using just 1 battery. a interstate #12. fits just fine just a little higher, had to raise regulator to fit it, don't need to remove starter to install either.

Dachshund

#32 Post by Dachshund »

Canniboomer, That's a great post there. It just so happens my nephew and I stopped in to Wally World because he needed a battery for his Dale. The 9 looked fine but the 12 and 14 were several inches taller. Glad he didn't get one but now we know what is going on.

I just ordered the PC310 for mine, so I hope it works out good.

Canniboomer

#33 Post by Canniboomer »

Here is that post (I guess it had disappeared during an edit): unsure.gif

Whenever discussing or recommending batteries you have to be specific, and include the entire series number. The series numbers are consistent among brands, even if they change the first letter (KTX9BS, PTX9BS, YTX9BS, etc.). Really, there is no such thing as a size-9 or size-12 or size-14 battery these days, since they all come in many distinct sizes -- with probably More sizes soon, as Yuasa leads the pack to create the next models "YTQ"9_ or 12 or whatever. Even the length and width is different among the 14's, for example. The Arctic Cat YTX14___ is almost 7 inches tall!, while the YTX14BS is 5-3/4". The easy-fit YTZ14s is only 4-3/8" tall, for only a mere 3/16" taller than the stock battery. That one is also the exact same in length and width, and snap-simple to install. But, squeezing down the strap another 3/16" is a no-no, of course. The strap can be undershimmed at the tray, or the 2-layer top pad can be peeled in half, or swapped to an 1/8"-thick strip, etc.

As for the Chinese knock-offs of ANY Yuasa, they complicate the matter by making batteries that are ALMOST the same size as the Yuasas. Some are indeed the same size, and fine,.... but too many Brands grow by 1/8" or more in any dimension, which can really screw up a Cannondale battery swap. Anyway, we should all try to be more specific when sharing battery tales, since new guys trying to upgrade a battery can really get confused. One guy will say his 14 fits perfect, while the next guy complains of having to remove the starter and regulator for his 14, etc. Actually, they are talking about completely different batteries!, but on we read..........and still confused.

As for the Odysseys, I first tried the PC545MJ about 4 years ago, and posted some mounting options(without a tray, works great). But they have weird charging requirements, and by now a new Odyssey-approved charger has a complex algorithim for amps and durations within each recharge cycle. So then I have to wonder how our various "dales" may affect them while charging on-the-fly. Looking back, I have had mixed results with the Odyssey PC545, as compared to the Yuasas and some off-brands. Hopefully, the PC310 will not not be so finicky for charging, but at least beware, and consider protecting any warranty with the approved charger. I have one now, and can check for the part number later.

Dachshund

#34 Post by Dachshund »

HAHA, Thought I was loosing my mind. As for the approved chargers for the Odyssey batteries here they are: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/accessories/aci.htm and http://www.odysseybatteries.com/accessories/omax.htm

Canniboomer

#35 Post by Canniboomer »

Cool!,... but maybe don't assume those chargers are approved by another Odyssey vendor.

But from any vendor that honors the warranty, you would be safe with the Odyssey Brand of charger. Mine is the Ultimizer, and intended specifically for PC310, 535, 545, 625, and 680 batteries. Part number is OMAX-6A-1B. More info is avail at www.odysseyfactory.com

also check out paragraph 2 on THIS page, FYI
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/odycharg_c.htm