My drag bike build

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Speed 1B

#31 Post by Speed 1B »

I agree that set-up means alot. It means everything when you are just trying to get started, but once you have the set-up dialed in then you can focus on more power. My chasis works so good that i can easily handle another 10-15 hp... But it took about 2 years to get it perfected. Its all trial and error and things that work on 1 bike wont work on another. The only reason i want to put a bar on is safety.

And as far as me beating bikes that have 20-30 more hp, yeah i do sometimes but its mostly becasue of the types of tracks i race on here in PA and WV. These bikes are all banshees btw...i dont think i race any 4 strokes with more horsepower than i have. What happens is these clay tracks get rutted and un-predictable and the big banshees just flat out over power the track and are out of control. They either flat out haul the mail or are up, down, across the track, on the gas, off the gas. You never know from run to run. My bike goes straight carrying the front wheels about 6'' off the ground about every single time. On a well maintained loamy soil track like the tracks you see in the south (Kentucky/Louisiana) or a professional sand track i dont know if i would do as well against the big banshees as i do now. Id love to find out though. My bike can probably beat or run right with 80-85% of the banshees i race with. And all of these banshees are over 450cc with aftermarket cylinders and lightened frames. I dont race the banshees much because my track has a rule that you can only run 2 classes so i stay in the 4 stroke classes. I do race the banshees at all the county fair races and in WV though and win my fair share of the time.

Speed 1B

#32 Post by Speed 1B »

This is what the bar will look like that i plan on building

wistech

#33 Post by wistech »

Shortened up the cans to 10 inches . Took the engine out for a little spin. Its seems to run OK ............ laugh.gif

wistech

#34 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Nov 26 2009, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow, thats too bad. The duels I have fit with the stock tank just fine. I wonder why he is having clearance issues.

Just didnt want them looking like they were made out of scrap tail pipes . Ya know ....like yours. tongue.gif

Happyboy

#35 Post by Happyboy »

Scrap tail pipes? Sorry but I think Mike did a great job with them.

cannondalemaine

#36 Post by cannondalemaine »

Update on my progress, just got my a arms painted. Engine is going to the dyno tomorrow to see what she pulls, will post when i get results. Also the quadtech hood is at body shop to get painted red and black, will get pics of a arms and hood when available.

wistech

#37 Post by wistech »

I found this in an old post from 2001
<< Cannondale Cannibal Dominates Drags! (7/10/01) As part of our never-ending testing program, we????????ve been taking our ATVs to area dirt drag strips to find out how well we stack up against the competition. A few weeks back, for example, we took a totally stock machine to the New Paris, Pennsylvania track where test rider Andy Zeth and his Cannondale won both the 500 and 700cc classes on the 1/8th mile course.

This past weekend, we brought Andy and a slightly modified Cannibal to the Blair-Bedford track. The Cannibal had been adapted to a 454 bore with a 13.8 compression ratio, and we????????d lowered the ride height a bit. Other than that, the only modification to Andy????????s Cannibal was the addition of a wheelie bar that was designed by Brian Dively, fabricated by Dave Fleegle, and welded by Yvette Hahn, all of whom work at our Bedford, Pennsylvania motorcycle plant.

Going head-to-head with our Cannibal were several heavily modified Honda 400EXs, Yamaha Raptor 660s, and DS650 Bombardiers. So how did we do? The Cannibal beat everything in the 700cc class, covering the 500 foot course in a blistering 7.6 seconds and hitting 72 miles-per-hour! >>

I heard that Cannondale is experimenting with upping the displacement to 450 (as above)... They are making sure the reliability is there before they do it... Raptor18 and other naysayer beware ... Cannondale is a moving target !!!
My advice? Get a cdale while they are affordable

Get a dale while they are affordable .LOL Who would a thunk .....

Speed 1B

#38 Post by Speed 1B »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Dec 12 2009, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found this in an old post from 2001
<< Cannondale Cannibal Dominates Drags! (7/10/01) As part of our never-ending testing program, we've been taking our ATVs to area dirt drag strips to find out how well we stack up against the competition. A few weeks back, for example, we took a totally stock machine to the New Paris, Pennsylvania track where test rider Andy Zeth and his Cannondale won both the 500 and 700cc classes on the 1/8th mile course.

This past weekend, we brought Andy and a slightly modified Cannibal to the Blair-Bedford track. The Cannibal had been adapted to a 454 bore with a 13.8 compression ratio, and we'd lowered the ride height a bit. Other than that, the only modification to Andy's Cannibal was the addition of a wheelie bar that was designed by Brian Dively, fabricated by Dave Fleegle, and welded by Yvette Hahn, all of whom work at our Bedford, Pennsylvania motorcycle plant.

Going head-to-head with our Cannibal were several heavily modified Honda 400EXs, Yamaha Raptor 660s, and DS650 Bombardiers. So how did we do? The Cannibal beat everything in the 700cc class, covering the 500 foot course in a blistering 7.6 seconds and hitting 72 miles-per-hour! >>

I heard that Cannondale is experimenting with upping the displacement to 450 (as above)... They are making sure the reliability is there before they do it... Raptor18 and other naysayer beware ... Cannondale is a moving target !!!
My advice? Get a cdale while they are affordable

Get a dale while they are affordable .LOL Who would a thunk .....

Thats the same track i race at. Ive seen the bike and the aluminum square tubing wheelie bar. At the time those were really fast times/speed.

cannondalemaine

#39 Post by cannondalemaine »

Here is a new picture of it so far, still waiting on the hood and engine but i did get some nice haulers haha. Shes coming along but slowly. Couldnt resist the rest of the garage tongue.gif

Happyboy

#40 Post by Happyboy »

What are those a-arms? You want to go as narrow and light as you can. Stockers work great if you can't get a set of drag arms. And you can get out cheaper that way also.