Decompression mechanism

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
NorCalRacer

#1 Post by NorCalRacer »

I have an '05 ATK vr 450. I payed almost new price for this thing and after reading some of the common problems I have decided to pull my motor and do some upgrades. I am putting on an aluminum valve cover and a version of the stage 8 kit from pac rim cannondales. I don't have a bunch of $$ left after all this so I will wait till next summer to replace my crankshaft bearing. I want to check my decompression mechanism and fix it if possible but I would like to know exactly what to look for and the fix. I have assembled engines before so I should be able to do anything required, just need some info. Anything else you guys would reccomend doing while engine is out, I don't want to pull it more than once a summer biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Thanks for the input

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Wait till you can do the bearing.From what I have seen of the ATK motors they are put together very well.Bolts are not going to fall out.Run Evans or Engine Ice changed every few months and dont worry about it till you can do the crank.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Apr 20 2006, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait till you can do the bearing.From what I have seen of the ATK motors they are put together very well.Bolts are not going to fall out.Run Evans or Engine Ice changed every few months and dont worry about it till you can do the crank.

What he said!

azcannon

#4 Post by azcannon »

Good advice spend your money on parts til you can afford to do it all

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

Agree

NorCalRacer

#6 Post by NorCalRacer »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Apr 21 2006, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree

Okay, my quad had antifreeze from atk and has spent more time sitting than riding. I was told this was bad. I work alot and can only ride about once a month. I would rather go riding. Do people exaggerate the danger of corrosion and cartridge bolts? Also, I can't get evan's without giving an arm and leg and I have the new cover to install. Alot of work, but if I could get water in my oil it is worth it.
Also, my quad has a major problem with the computer. Temp status light comes on solid, never blinks or turns off. I have never noticed my fan running but could have missed it when I was riding. This scares me because this quad took a couple years savings and I can't find the problem. ATK tested computer and said it is fine. The light harness is correct. Has anyone got any ideas?
I'd hate to kill this thing before I can ride it.
I would rather ride it than work on it biggrin.gif
thanks for the input
Don't mistake this as a complaint, I wouldn't trade my ATK for two honda's.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Just remove the waterpump cover.You can kill two birds with one stone .Check valvecover at same time for corrosion and check your impellar.As for the status light I am not sure if they will work with ATK Hex code.Stick a thermometer in the coolant and run it if you dont have a D&M.The loose bolts and corrosion is NOT overblown it happens alot.But having seen how ATK motors are put together I can assure you the bolt problem has been taken care of.

NorCalRacer

#8 Post by NorCalRacer »

C-27, you were correct. I got curious and decided to replace my valve cover and check under the crankcase cover just to be sure. The studs were installed well from ATK and were not an issue. I was about to kick myself in the *** for going to all this trouble when I noticed that my clutch adjustment stud had backed out and gone for a ride between my scavange pump gear and transmission oil pump gear. This must be random because correct installation would avoid it and I don't think it is one of the "problem" bolts adressed by the updates.

The transmission gear was almost completely stripped of teeth and was barely catching the scavange gear. I thought I was being ridiculous pulling apart a low hour bike because of internet horror stories, but I think I dodged a real bullet here. One more ride might have been too much, I hate to think what an oil starved timing chain would look like...
Thanks to the people at this forum my quad will last that much longer, now to get my parts from caniboomer so I can start thrashing it again...

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Thanks for update.Sounds like you were lucky to take it down.Is true only way to know if done to your satisfaction is to do it yourself.