Engine Shutting Off During Rides

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
dreamrr

#1 Post by dreamrr »

I did a search and found something about bolts backing out causing this problem, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone has had this problem and it was caused by something else.

For the past 6 months, everytime I ride my Cannondale the engine will just shut off while riding. I replaced the whole charging system; stator, batt., everything (several times). This last time the engine shut off and would not turn over at all (usually I can hook the charger up and it will start again). I can't figure out what is wrong and neither can any dealers. This is getting old! Has anyone had this problem? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

Is your battery actually going dead? Did you check all the grounds? Sometimes they can come loose. You might try wiggling every wire until it dies. How long does it take for it to shut down?

dreamrr

#3 Post by dreamrr »

There are no loose wires, I've checked, wiggled, and replaced. There is no telling when it will shut off, it just seems to do it when I get far enough away from camp that it ruins my day.

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

How often do you change your fuel filter? Where is your fuel pump located? Stock position? Is the machine hot when it shuts off?

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

There are 3 ground connections on the frame, one on each bolt of the fuel pressure regulator and the third one (on the quad that the headlights mounted to the frame) there is a ground wire at the left headlight bracket.

if the battery is going dead, I would check the stator wires were they go under the flywheel. some have rubbed through at that point.

azcannon

#6 Post by azcannon »

sounds like some ecu problems I have heard about in the past , I also had a truck that did that with a bad ECU

Cndale97x

#7 Post by Cndale97x »

What about the rectifier update? Mine would do the same thing, usually only when it was cold but it's worth looking into. http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man...ltage%20reg.pdf Good Luck

dreamrr

#8 Post by dreamrr »

Thanks for all the input. I am going to try some of your recommendations, and I'll let you know how it goes!

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

....I think it could be your stop switch actually losing momentary continuity. If that happens, with some impact or just a certain vibration, even for an instant, it will shut you down!. Then, you will start up again like nothing is wrong. All will be normal, and the mystery continues.....

The older wafer style round stop switch is the most troublesome. We have been curing this same problem lately on the dirtbikes. Let me know if you need a new switch, since you now have 3 or 4 different options....

MyCannibal

#10 Post by MyCannibal »

u can also just take that switch off and block it.....u dont need two or three ways to shut your quad off...