stalling??

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Nickc711

#1 Post by Nickc711 »

Could it be overheating.. It will stall only after a short ride or even at idel....Water pump was suppositly replaced..new gas.. engine and tranny oil changed... Help!!!

when it stall it just dosent shut off it starts misfiring and backfiring and looses power imensly and no matter how hard you try you cand feather it back to life... so any advice..electrical..or cooling mabey..could you tell if the water impeller is stripped without ripping and tearing.

NorCalRacer

#2 Post by NorCalRacer »

Not sure about the stalling, it could be a few things. If your worried about overheating you should get some status lights. A quick check on your water pump impeller would be to run your engine for a minute and see if your radiator warms up. That should help you a little.

Nickc711

#3 Post by Nickc711 »

After a fresh battery and checked all the grounds i thought the problem was solved but after a 10 minute ride(longer than with old battery) it stalled.. tried starting right after it stalled and it was very hard...waited a few minutes and it jumped to life.. any body know what it could be.Points, Overheating, wiring harness update,ecu....what would a fresh battery affect to make it stall less..when its gonna stall it starts breakin up and just stalls..?

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

where if your fuel line routed?...above the engine or along side the engine?..

Nickc711

#5 Post by Nickc711 »

above but the guy i bought it from had no problem.. but i guess i should change it..

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Definatly reroute the fuel line around the front of the engine to keep the gas from boiling. A bad coil could be getting weak when getting hot. Did you gut your quick connects on the fuel line yet?

Nickc711

#7 Post by Nickc711 »

well its not the fuel system that is the current problem because after 3 rides first 10 min 2nd 6 min and last 5min the battery is now dead(new battery)... has to be the charging system.. Stator.. what could keep the battery from being charged.. i checked all the grounds.. how could i check the stator?

it has the jumper lead.. stud update.. the previous owner had it sitting for over a year so i dont know if that would contribute to any thing..???? what ccould be wrong with the charging sysyem..voltage regulator? relay?
how do i test for the problems??

update...checked stator seemed to be in specs.. when i put the multimeter on the battery when off voltage was at 11 when started voltage hovered for like 30secs then dropped.. Voltage regulator? Can i check that?

speed 450mx

#8 Post by speed 450mx »

The battary should have around 12 to 13 to start with after you start it rev it up and the volts should be between 13 & 14 at about 3000 rpms. Do you have a D&M? If so just plug it in an rev it and watch the volts idle detween 12/13 at 3000 rpms 13/14.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

The stator can check ok according to the service manual. But if the stator wire update has not been done the wires could be shorted together when the insulation melts around the clamp under the flywheel.

Nickc711

#10 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jun 13 2006, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The stator can check ok according to the service manual. But if the stator wire update has not been done the wires could be shorted together when the insulation melts around the clamp under the flywheel.

the previous owner had a local dale shop put a high output one on so they thould of notoced that(actually somebody from this site) I checked out the voltage reg i think its bad so ill start from there.