starting problems

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
331saleen

#1 Post by 331saleen »

I have a 02 Cannibal 440. I have recently completly rebuilt the engine from the crank, to the piston, and including all the bearings. Now I have a starting problem. The quad will not start or even try to start. I have checked the spark, checked the misting of the injectors, and changed the flywheel, all work fine. I have also adjusted the throttle body stop screw and changed the computer, this didn't help. When it actually tries to start, all it does is backfires through the throttle body and it only does this every now and then. I have burnt up one starter and I don't want to burn up another one. Can someone please help me, I am new a this and new at Cannondales.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Clean the plug . Pour a teaspoon of oil down the spark plug hole and then try to start it. We have seen this a couple of times where on the first attempt to start a fresh motor it fouls the plug and gas washes down the rings causing poor sealing to where compression is so low it wont fire. The oil will help seal it back up. If that doesnt work your cams or flywheel might be out of time.

Also make sure your connections are on the right sensor /injector. thats a common mistake .

331saleen

#3 Post by 331saleen »

QUOTE (wistech @ Feb 1 2007, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clean the plug . Pour a teaspoon of oil down the spark plug hole and then try to start it. We have seen this a couple of times where on the first attempt to start a fresh motor it fouls the plug and gas washes down the rings causing poor sealing to where compression is so low it wont fire. The oil will help seal it back up. If that doesnt work your cams or flywheel might be out of time.

Also make sure your connections are on the right sensor /injector. thats a common mistake .

I will try the oil and thanks for the help. I have another question on checking the injectors to see if they are on the right injector? Also, I timed the cams according to the manual, are they a quick way to check to see if they are correct?

Psychosis

#4 Post by Psychosis »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the manual wrong on timing?

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Just pin locations are wrong.Did you have the gears off the camshafts?When you timed it did you count the teeth from center?

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

I'll bet the cam timing is off one tooth. I have done this once and it sucked. I swore the timing marks were spot on. One lesson I learned is the center idler gear has to have the half-moon shaped window in the correct location. I know you can do it a bunch of different ways, but there is a pic in the manual showing what I mean. I'll see if I can dig it up. It definitely helps someone who doesn't do Cannondales everyday. John almost caught my hair on fire one day when he was cranking over that same motor due to the backfire it produced out the air filter. He didn't stop laughing for 10 minutes!

MyCannibal

#7 Post by MyCannibal »

hint- check the rubber boot connections on the throttle body and the intake make sure they are torqued down tight...one side may have blew a leak..

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Here we go....

Look at the little window on the idler gear bracket. You can see a hole there and part of the gear through the window. If you line this hole up on the idler, before putting your cams in and match your timing marks, you will notice after the timing chain is installed you will have a little crescent shaped piece of the idler gear in the upper right corner of the window. If the gear is visible in the left side of the window you are a tooth off. The marks will still look aligned to the casual engine builder. This will cause you much swearing and labor as you have to drop the motor and pull the side cover to get to it again.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

How long was the bike down? Did the bike run before tear down? Im willing to bet cam timeing,or flyweel. I know you said you have spark,but somehing else thats crosses mind is the crank sensor and water temp wires could be back words.

Also 331saleen were live at if you dont mind. Someone might be able to help.

zacke22

#10 Post by zacke22 »

what can i do to make sure i dont have the same starting issues when i put my engine back together? im trying to save some time, so that i dont have to drop my engine back out for any reason. i havent messed with the head or anything, other than taking it off to get my crank out and piston off, so should my timing be off?