problem with killing batteries

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
speed 450mx

#1 Post by speed 450mx »

Ok heres the deal this started back months ago. First thing we did was check the stator and refelictor. Both showed fine put new batt. in rode for about 8 hours and it killed the batt. So then we rechecked everything this time the refelictor show to be bad so changed it also change the stator and it ran fine it has ran fine for about three months. Then this weeked we went to a race and on the last lap the batt. went dead at the finsh line. Now what could be causeing it to do this. What do you think could be shorting out causeing it to go dead. Could a short in the wiring cause it, could a bad stater switch cause it, I am lost to what is causing it. It did not do this tell after his status lights shorted out. But they have been disconected since the first batt. went dead. Any ideas would help. This is on a 03 speed.

Yellowrocket440

#2 Post by Yellowrocket440 »

sad.gif This will make it the second time this has happened with my quad over 5 month period!! Like speed 450mx said, we replaced stator, voltage reg. and battery all new at 1 time and it has ran great until this weekend!!! Is there a way to check the voltage reg. to see if they are bad???? Sum great help and IDEA's would wonderful!!! Is there anythingthat the status lights could have done to cause this or not.. We put them on in April '06 right before a trip 2 little sarah, OK and the worked fine until labor day weekend and one light went out then all went out bout 2 months later, which was in Nov. when happened the first time!!!! What else can we check out that might cause battery to go dead???? sad.gif

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds to me like the Rectifier/regulator went bad and caused a voltage spike (a bad battery can cause it to go bad)this spike fryed the status lights.Look for a bad or missing ground regulator dumps excess voltage to ground if it cant it will fry.Other possibility is that it is a old wiring harness check to see yours is a REV8 or that it has the diode updates and I believe there is another kickback update.

Yellowrocket440

#4 Post by Yellowrocket440 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 27 2007, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds to me like the Rectifier/regulator went bad and caused a voltage spike (a bad battery can cause it to go bad)this spike fryed the status lights.Look for a bad or missing ground regulator dumps excess voltage to ground if it cant it will fry.Other possibility is that it is a old wiring harness check to see yours is a REV8 or that it has the diode updates and I believe there is another kickback update.

The status lights have not been hooked up since nov. the first time this happened!!! So those are not the problem this time...(second time) the battery is only 2 months old...
Where do i look to tell if it is a REV8 harness????? i would assume that it would since it is a 03 cannondale speed!!! thanks for the input, all we can get will HELP!!!! smile.gif

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes but fryed status light are indicator of a spike.Check tag on harness where it plugs into ECU for tag indicating Rev#.Your right should be Rev8 but never know.Is your voltage regulator in stock position yet?

speed 450mx

#6 Post by speed 450mx »

The status lights had two bare spots that were rubbing together. Diode update refresh me on that update. Reg. is in stock location. Ok if it spiked again with new reg. what could cause this to happen.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

It could very well be the battery is just shot.3months is short life but it has happened to me sooner.

harleypitbull1

#8 Post by harleypitbull1 »

The diode update is just a short piece of wire that goes near the ground on the left headlight. It splits a wire on the rev 5 harness and puts diodes in between to keep voltage spike from getting to the ecu. I think most of the time the spike comes from the start button if I remember correctly. But also I think the problem was fixed in the rev 8 harness, so if you have it, there is no need for the update. I had a problem with my battery going dead also. It was a brand new battery from boomer, I talked to Scooter at optimum and he told me to take a multimeter and do an amp draw to see if something was drawing down the battery. It was, there was a short inside the voltage regulator causing it to do this. For the rev 5 harness there is also an update that plugs into the regulator to cut down on electrical noise. Boomer has both updates in stock if you need them.

speed 450mx

#9 Post by speed 450mx »

the battery blew out the side I am pretty sure the battery just broke for no reason