Hard Starting

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
chigger81

#1 Post by chigger81 »

I had a problem with my quad not starting. It is also dying randomly on the trail, but will start right up once it dies. I assumed it was the battery. I bought one from walmart for $50 to get it going. Put acid in it, charged it a lil, then stuck it in the quad. It barely turned the quad over. Put the trickle charger on it and got it going, but not easily. The battery seems like it just doesnt have the amps to turn it over. Its doing exactly what the battery I threw away was doing. Actually, I belive that one may have had more juice. So, my question is whether or not a walmart battery has the cca to turn over a stroker. I guess its possible that I have another electrical problem, but my previous experiences with walmart products tell me to try another battery first. I'm thinking I'll try and take it back and go for a YUSA. Is it the YUSA GRT YTX9-BS the battery everyone says is good? I'm running a timbo stroker, 1000 computer.

Sandstorm

#2 Post by Sandstorm »

I'd say your battery isn't the problem.. My stroker turns over fine w/ a Walmart battery..

Psychosis

#3 Post by Psychosis »

It doesn't sound like the battery but I still recommend going w/a bigger battery. I ran a stroker on a stock battery and compared to the high cca amp batteries, it's night and day; worth the extra cash. Somebody will chime in though.

harleypitbull1

#4 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (Psychosis @ Mar 5 2007, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't sound like the battery but I still recommend going w/a bigger battery. I ran a stroker on a stock battery and compared to the high cca amp batteries, it's night and day; worth the extra cash. Somebody will chime in though.

I think canniboomer still has those batteries that he calls the stroker cranker, I have one, they work great. Also a buddie of mine's quad was dying like that right after we got our motors back from Timbo. We had to put the newest hexcode in his and it solved the problem. Could that be it? Do you know which hex code you have in your computer?

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Check and clean all the big cable connections both positive and negative.Cleaning includes removeing them and wirebrushing till shiny then a dab of diaelectric grease on them then retorque with new star washers.

chigger81

#6 Post by chigger81 »

Thanks guys, Ive been through all the connections between the battery and the frame and between the battery and the harness. I dont think I have a short there. I think my trickle charger is at least 50% of the problem. I borrowed a friends and charged it up yesterday. It started without any charging today, barely though. As far as it dying on itself, it did that once right after I took off from the shop tonight. If theres a short, I dont know where the heck it is. I had the plastics off last night, spraying all the connections I could see with contact cleaner. I use CRC elecrical contact cleaner. I dont have any diaelectric grease. I dunno much about the mapping or hex code. I had happyboy fix that all up when we put the stroker together. It could probably use a tune up, but I dont have any software. Hasn't had any of that messed with since we put it together. Same plug even.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Id do a voltage drop test and measure how many amps your starter is pulling while cranking. Here's an observation I wonder if anyone else has had. Why do they run the ground cable to the frame on the quad. It really should be on the starter case bolt so there are no junctions to lose voltage through. Im thinking of doing that on all my quads. Just think of all the places there are to lose voltage to complete the cranking curcuit. It has to go through the fuel pump bracket,engine cradle ,engine case ,and the side cover to make a complete loop. A heavily powdercoated side cover can cause an issue because the starter sits in an oring in the case where it wont be grounded.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

You have more than the starter to make a circut to. What about all the electronics grounded to the frame? I think it would wiser to run a second ground cable from either the battery or the same point on the frame where the ground is now to the starter housing.....

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Yes I would run a second ground to the frame as well. Kinda wierd . The frame isnt really used for a ground except for the ecu eyelet at the left headlight bracket and why they didnt run that into the rest of the harness is beyond me.