FX 400 Starting problem

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cdale88

#1 Post by cdale88 »

here's the problem. Quad was running just stopped in the middle of riding. When I got home turned out the flywheel magnet was chewed up. The ring that is epoxyed to I guess hold it in was broken which allowed the magnet to ware. So I got a new Flywheel put it on and it still will not start. Now it has been about 1 month since it ran. Should I try some starting fluid to get it going. Also it has spark. I am new to cannondales not quads or bikes I am very good mechanically.What am I over looking. Iput in a new spark plug.I have an extra stator just in case.With the old chewed up flywheel it would almost start then die. I figured with the new flywheel I would just fire up. Any help please.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Your crank bearing may have failed. Dont crank it anymore or your new flywheel will be toast as well. Check for up down play in the crank end.

cdale88

#3 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jan 24 2008, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your crank bearing may have failed. Dont crank it anymore or your new flywheel will be toast as well. Check for up down play in the crank end.

Crank bearing is fine, either electrical or something I am missing.Like I said with old flywheel It started for a secong then died. Now with new flywheel does not even sound like it wants to start.Even though it has spark could the stator be bad.Oh I also have a new battery in.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Unplug the stator to eliminate it. Should still start and run without it plugged in. Then I would start with a compression check. Are you sure the key for the flywheel wasn't sheared and new flywheel is therefore not lined up right?

speed2424

#5 Post by speed2424 »

Spark, gas,compression & timing. Is it getting all of these?

cdale88

#6 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (speed2424 @ Jan 25 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spark, gas,compression & timing. Is it getting all of these?

It was getting spark the other day I just checked and no spark.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#7 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Maybe your coil. I had spark but it wouldn't start. Put a new coil in and fired right up.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Check that flywheel key.

cdale88

#9 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 25 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check that flywheel key.

Thanks for all your help guys. Is it possable if the stator is bad there would be no spark. What gets me is that when I put the new flywheel in it had spark. Also it did but would spark show up on aluminum. I held the spark plug on frame and I saw spark. Also it there a fuse that contorls the stator and or the coil.Again thanks for your help and not flaming me. Some of the other sights I go on mainley dirt bikes no matter what you say there is some one giving crap. I am just having a bad start of the year and want to get the quad going. I had to walk away from quad I am fustrated and need a break. I am usally very good with these things I know it will be something sitting right in front of me. blink.gif

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Should still be spark even with a bad stator. If that key was sheared it may feel like its engaging the flywheel but flywheel could be way off.