2001 FX 400 Troubles

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Thefirst01

#1 Post by Thefirst01 »

Okay, I'm super lost when it comes to this bike. I just got it not too long ago and it ran great all summer except for the occasional stalling out, but it would always fire right back up so I didn't think anything of it.
Well now that its winter I let it sit for about a month without riding. One weekend I decide I'm gunna go riding with some buddies. I started it up the night before and was riding it for about 20 minutes no problems, it ran like a champ.
The next day we go riding and everything is good for about an hour. The quad then dies, I go to start it back up and it starts but then dies again right away. Now the starter is just clicking and then nothing, so I assume the battery is shot.
I have put a new battery in it and the battery also stays on the battery tender. I have gotten it to run since then but only for a few seconds before it will die again. I have changed the plug, cleaned the air filter, bypassed the solenoid with a screw driver and I can't get it to do anything now.
When I turn the key on the fuel pump will make it's usual sound and when I push the start button it seems like its jammed, it will click and will not turn over the motor.
I have searched and found out a lot of different ideas as to what it could be, but still would like some advice. I guess my next test will be to take the plug out and see if it turns over that way.Thanks for the help in advance. Also I'm located in Missouri in case you wanted to know.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

check for metal in the oil filter.

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

That is a very nice looking quad.

cdale88

#4 Post by cdale88 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jan 27 2008, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Wistech comon with the oil filter- Lol, think positive. Yes listen to Wistech and look at my post down from yours it is the same. I had massive gold dust and not the kind you can spend. You will get plenty of great help from all the members but you need to listen to the experts they know from experience. Good luck.

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jan 27 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me know if you need some help,got alot of extra parts.I live in St.Louis also.I have learned alot about dales here,no expert though.Dave.

ozarkdaler

#6 Post by ozarkdaler »

Where do you live in Missouri?

Thefirst01

#7 Post by Thefirst01 »

Hey guys thanks for being so helpful! i havent been able to work on the quad because ive been super busy with work and school. I live in the suburbs outside of st. louis. Ill keep you informed as to what im doing to or with the bike. im just really bummed out that it may be broken right before riding season!!! thanks Dave.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

That is awesome looking!Dont get bummed.Just look at it.Its worth it.

Thefirst01

#9 Post by Thefirst01 »

Well you guys were correct in checking the oil filter. Lots of metal is what i found!!!
Kinda sucks but i have decided to fix it cuz i really enjoy this bike and i wanna hang on to it.
What should my next steps be toward getting it fixed and maybe someone knows what exactly has happened to cause the shavings and the motor to seize. I believe i read something about crank bearings and them chewing up the wrist pin or something along those lines.
Im thinking Blackwidow ATV seems to be a good bet with getting my motor repaired. Will it be an entire rebuild or should i just wait to call and talk to them?
Thanks for the help guys its much appreciated!! Dave
O and heres another pic because i like to see pictures too.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Heck yea that is cool looking!Looks mean.Not like all the sissy FlashGordon quads out there.Yes probably will be everything.I would consider Timbo for the build.Machine work will need to be done to fit new style bearings.Buckets need to be fitted properly.These are things others do not do.