How much?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
motoman

#1 Post by motoman »

I've been searching for a Cannondale Moto 440 for awhile now, and I came across a place that has two 2003 moto 440's for sale that they never sold. I've done my research an realize the cost of updates, but how much should these bikes cost?

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Not updated? Personal preference. I wanted a new perfect Moto, so I bought one from a collector for $4500. Then I spent another $2000 updating it. Updates don't cost quite that much, but I ported it and installed a 450 piston, not to mention all the time it takes to learn HOW to work on Dales.... You are looking at a minimum of $800 for updates assuming you do ALL the work and a lot of your stock parts are salvageable.

Most people wouldn't pay much more than $2500 for a non-updated Dale. Regardless of what you may think a non-updated Cannondale is a ticking time bomb in many ways. It's not a matter of IF I update, but WHEN, and whether or not you munched everything because you waited too long...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest you take a look at my 2003 Glamis, which is fully converted to a Moto in every way suspension-wise. For all intents and purposes it IS a Moto, but the VIN and bodywork is from a 1 in 56 made Glamis. Every update has been made, and the top end is completely fresh. You only have to get on it and ride it for a long time.

Looking back I wish I had done that, bought an updated Dale. I would have been a lot less burnt out, because I would not have had to go into the engine as much. I bought two NOT updated Dales then had to completely go through them and complete "the list". Had I bought an updated Dale I could have just ridden it a while, and saved a TON of money.

Sorry to offer up mine, I saw the chance so I took it. This has been my experience and my opinion... Take it as you will smile.gif

James

motoman

#3 Post by motoman »

$2500? They have them listed for a little under what one cost back in '03. Do you think it'd be an insult to offer $2500?

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

A little under what one cost, as in a little under $14.9k? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Tell them to pass the crackpipe.....

Some people have no clue what to ask for, no clue as to value. For all they know it is a rare race quad from an out of business American company. They see Ferrari, when the market says Yugo. That is why Dales are nice, because you get an Enzo for the price of the turbo Yugo model...

If you want to do anything with those you can print out some previous Moto "For Sale" posts, and show them those. I don't think it will help your cause though. Many dealers were left holding a full set of spares and quite a few bikes when Cannondale went under....

motoman

#5 Post by motoman »

they want $12,295

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thank you for making my day...... Laughter is truly the best medicine..... Let me refer you once again to my Moto converted Glamis, for the small price of $3800..... It will put the smack down on that stock Moto. My Glamis has at least 5hp on it, which is more than a 10% power difference.....

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

You'de be way better off just buying deatons. WAY WAY better off. Don't go near the moto for 12,295, that is just insane. What scares me is that someone that doesn't know any better may buy one. I guess that is why they have them for sale there. Just waiting for the right customer. It could be a long wait, as if 5 years isn't long enough. Maybe in five more years, with inflation, they will be worth it.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (motoman @ Nov 16 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they want $12,295

That's the reason they still have two of them. They will probably never sell for more than $5K. Even to someone that is not educated in the update options.

MyCannibal

#9 Post by MyCannibal »

wow...I cant believe they want that much for it.

Kuma

#10 Post by Kuma »

deatons would be a good buy,
if you have your heart set on a new one, I see them on ebay from time to time.