Trouble with Ignition?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
motodiseased1

#1 Post by motodiseased1 »

Ok so heres the deal, I have a Cannibal, and it had been running great until about a week ago. I took it out after putting a new axle and bars on it and all of the sudden its been stalling out on me. It starts and idles pretty well (will shut off during idle sometimes) But when I get to riding, It will just cut off once in a while. Even if I'm going fast it will not clutch drop back running. It just does the blahhhhhh thing like its not sparking? I'll come to a stop and it will fire right back up and ride fine again, But it will just shut back off again shortly after. I don't know where this problem came from it seems to have just started acting up. The only thing I can think is that the air box popped off, but even then it should not cut ignition off like that. If anyone can help let me know.

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

if you replaced the handle bars, you could have pulled some wires loose. I would check there first and also check grounds.

peterock

#3 Post by peterock »

Check all those bullet connectors. One may be coming loose on you.

xtremesj

#4 Post by xtremesj »

I have had the same problem. I have cleaned all the connectors and put dielectric grease in all of them. Still have the intermittent problem. I read a thread that it might be the relay, replace the relay and still same issue. Any other good ideas???

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

I would check the wires coming from the starter solenoid as well. They become frayed and can cause those symptoms you are describing.

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Another thing I just thought of, I don't know of anyone is having a problem with the kill switch, but anything is possible. In removing and replacing it on the new bars, you could have damaged it or the wires connecting it to the harness. Ignition switch is also a possibility.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (xtremesj @ Jan 1 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have had the same problem. I have cleaned all the connectors and put dielectric grease in all of them. Still have the intermittent problem. I read a thread that it might be the relay, replace the relay and still same issue. Any other good ideas???

Have you checked all the ground connections to the frame? These machines use a crimp nut. The nut actually crimps onto the frame. Not a real good contact suface especially when you add water and mud. Aluminum is a good conductor but corrodes easily if contact point is not good. Star washers are a minumum. I know these thing have too many wires already, but I ran a wire from the battery ground at the frame to the ground on the other bolt holding the fuel pressure regulator then up to the left headlight bracket were I believe it is the ground for the ECU.

One thing I'm not sure of. I think someone from Cannondale told me that a loose chain would cause stalling, but I find that hard to believe.

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

I've seen a fuse holder become lose. This should be an easy find,with the bike running start wiggling wires. Do you have your fuel disconnects gutted?

motodiseased1

#9 Post by motodiseased1 »

What do you mean gutted?
And the bars are anodized, would that inhibit contact with the back of the kill switch?

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

Gutted means that the quick disconnects are drilled out to do away with the tiny valve in them that keeps the flow of fuel from running when you unplug them. Unfortunately the inner o-rings tend to swell and thye stay plugged up. Hence the gutting that he refered to.... The anodization on the bars is not the problem.