My drag bike build

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cannondalemaine

#1 Post by cannondalemaine »

Well i finally decided i wanted to build a drag quad for myself. Here are a couple of pics as it sits right now, and a couple parts im putting on. It is going to be a high compression 467 wistech built engine with dual ti exhausts ohmy.gif . I started polishing the frame its coming along pretty good I used the mothers polishing ball and that seemed to work well. I will add pics when engine duals and other parts come in. I do not have a name for her but if you guys want to name it that fine with me haha.

smitty 78

#2 Post by smitty 78 »

awesome! the dale shall fly!!! I remember my bike looking like that about a month and a half ago! how about ummmm suzy!

speedracer

#3 Post by speedracer »

Looks good, are you running on sand or dirt?

cannondalemaine

#4 Post by cannondalemaine »

In the ads they put sand but its more like soft gravel to me. The track is 300ft long but the only thing is it bracket racing mad.gif . So its pretty much driver reaction. Hoping to find some out of state so I can show them what real american muscle can do haha. I have all winter to finish my build since it should be snowing here soon. When the events come up I'll post my times and if you guys have any suggestions for me maybe the times will get faster. My best so far on my ported 432 is a 5.7 @ 60mph in 300ft. I'm hoping to break 4's with the new engine.

cannondalemaine

#5 Post by cannondalemaine »

Just curious what do you other guys get for times if you have raced them?

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I did some drag racing in my younger years. and I couldn't stomach Bracket racing. maybe I didn't try hard enough to under stand it. I didn't like it as a racer and even less as a spectator. I felt like buying a VW and dialing in a 5 min. time and the guy next to me on the line might fall asleep or over heat before he got the green.

I feel thats what did the track in by me. when you make it possible for anyone to win its not as saticfying if you do win.

I know there was more to it than that. tech inspection was probubly a nightmare but something like AMA did may have kept the amiture racer interested. 4,6,and 8 cylinder "A" "B" and maybe "C" classes and a system that makes you move up.

Another reason I most likely didn't like it is because I never won :-(

cannondalemaine

#7 Post by cannondalemaine »

Yea I don't blame you for not liking bracket racing, you get penalized for breaking of your time and going too fast. Personally I'm not a big fan of it either. My quad is one of the fastest in my class but like you said it doesn't mean a thing as the person next to me could win by not being faster. Have to be consistent with the run times.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

I don't like it either but it sure has advanced the technology involved and made better racers. Think about it if you go as fast as possible theoretically the times should always be the same. So the technology evolved to do that and I think it also brought about better reliability.

Speed 1B

#9 Post by Speed 1B »

I feel your pain about the bracket racing. There is no way I could ever do it.

But, its a great way to get people involved in racing without braking the bank so I do see its appeal to some people. Its just one of those things...you love it or you hate it.

speedracer

#10 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (cannondalemaine @ Nov 22 2009, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the ads they put sand but its more like soft gravel to me. The track is 300ft long but the only thing is it bracket racing mad.gif . So its pretty much driver reaction. Hoping to find some out of state so i can show them what real american muscle can do haha. I have all winter to finish my build since it should be snowing here soon. When the events come up ill post my times and if you guys have any suggestions for me maybe the times will get faster. My best so far on my ported 432 is a 5.7 @ 60mph in 300ft. Im hoping to break 4's with the new one engine.

You might try to locate a extended swinger or a wheele bar. I have a Timbo 467 that I sanddrag, it is impossible to keep the front end down when I run staight paddles. I do have a +2 swinger being fabbed now so hope that helps.