'02 speed-what do you think..should I keep it?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
flyinarmbar

#1 Post by flyinarmbar »

Hello everyone, I am searching for some advice in hopes to keep my Cannondale. Since I bought it a year and a half ago, I replaced the valve cover and the water pump with aluminium, new stock fuel pump, battery,replaced and re-routed fuel lines, complete Magura clutch setup,key switch, and fixed an issue with my air box popping off. I spent a lot of time on a tight budget. I am in no way complaining for I did my homework before I bought it and knew it was getting myself into. I understand owning a Cannondale is a "labor of love" but there is nothing worse than bringing my 5 and 7 yr olds, with their quads, to an atv park, paying admission, then sitting out on the sidelines because my 'Dale won't start-or stalls-or boggs out, or just won't run right. The excitement to ride with my kids has been crushed on a few occasions because of this. The only time we rode together was when I had a 400ex to try out before I bought it. I decided that I wanted something different and went with the 'Dale. I love it and the bike is faster than anything I have ridden before. I handles awesome and is running great right now. The time out of commission really bugs me and I bought the bike in plans of getting it running and doing my own work on a budget. I have learned a lot with the help of Dave M and this site for info. The only thing that has me concerned is the fact that I don't know if the cartridge bolts were ever updated or the bearing changed. After almost 11 years of riding, has anyone had these bolts still back after all this time of hard riding? What can make the bearing sieze up? I plan on taking my kids on trips for a weekend of riding. Would it be wise for me to sell it and get something like a banshee, honda 450r or kxf 450? I gave it a shot and am happy I can tell people how amazing these machines can be. What would you do? All input good or bad is greatly appreciated. Thank You, Dan

cdaledave89

#2 Post by cdaledave89 »

Hi Dan,

By the sound of your post, I really think you should sell it........

To me!! For $500!!

Please let me know your paypal address.

Thanks,

Dave

speedracer

#3 Post by speedracer »

I would bet everyone has been their before,with a Dale not running right.Where are you located at?Maybe someone can help you out.Stalling,not starting,for me,was mainly a throttle recal or a tweek to the ecu.I would get a cheap z-400 and ride,good luck.

flyinarmbar

#4 Post by flyinarmbar »

Ha,ha,ha,ha tongue.gif . I would need to get 1600 or close to that price, that's what I'm into it and more. It's running great right now. If I did the z-bearing and the cartridge bolt update so they don't back out, would that give me the reliability that I want? I would like to do the work myself. How much would the parts run me? Is the bearing hard to do?

flyinarmbar

#5 Post by flyinarmbar »

This is the thing. It's running great right now. I'm just not sure for how long. I don't want to be disappointed on the next riding weekend away. I'm in Long Island , N.Y. thanks

flyinarmbar

#6 Post by flyinarmbar »

Hey Dave, I do a lot of my riding in central/west PA, near state college. I know the woods there real good. My father-in-law lives there. Anywhere near you?, or do you know of any shops around there that can do a z-bearing on my bike in one weekend?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Once you dive into the bearing then all the other updates come into play also since it would be crazy not to get everything done at once.Advice keep it stock or just ported.Its not going to happen in a weekend if any machine work needs to be done.Sounds like you worry alot.Not that I blame you.Best is to buy a spare working bike like 400ex you mentioned.Bring it along on trips.With 3 bikes including your kids odds are good you will use the 400ex.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Timbomoose is like 2 hours away. Take a day off and visit him. He should be able to figure any issues out in a few minutes instead of you wasting countless hours and cash guessing. Then you will learn first hand how to take care of the little issues that can come up .
If thats to much to do then I would recommend selling it and getting something simple like a 400ex or z400. Although slow and boring at least they should run without to much attention.

flyinarmbar

#9 Post by flyinarmbar »

OK, so if I did the Z-bearing and the stud update, had it ported, should that give me the reliability I want? Can I cut in an "on/off" toggle switch in the battery terminals to stop the draw? I really love it and want to keep it, I just don't have the $$ to go dropping 1000 into the thing. Thats why I need to try to do the work myself.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

A grand goes quick when getting into these.