02 cdale 440 starting hard?? need help guys

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
dayton02cdale

#1 Post by dayton02cdale »

I have a 02 cannondale 440, and i just got it about 4 months ago. It was supposed to have all updates done and only 15hrs on motor, but he had no paper work on that. When i got it, it started fine, a little slow cranking but it still started and ran fine. After riding it for awhile the idle got irratic and i noticed the idle screw was moving around on me as i rode or reved it. Now it will start, but i must fool with the idle screw to get it going, and it cranks over hard and very slow to get it to fire. And it also has a hesitation off idle when riding. I have read that i need to get the d&m kit to fix this, but i am lost when it comes to these cdales, i have only had yfz450s and 450r's. lol Id love to get this thing going as soon as possible, it is a super clean quad and i am in love with it already. ANY help would be great guys! thanks!

beanie$440$peed

#2 Post by beanie$440$peed »

QUOTE (dayton02cdale @ Nov 5 2011, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 02 cannondale 440, and i just got it about 4 months ago. It was supposed to have all updates done and only 15hrs on motor, but he had no paper work on that. When i got it, it started fine, a little slow cranking but it still started and ran fine. After riding it for awhile the idle got irratic and i noticed the idle screw was moving around on me as i rode or reved it. Now it will start, but i must fool with the idle screw to get it going, and it cranks over hard and very slow to get it to fire. And it also has a hesitation off idle when riding. I have read that i need to get the d&m kit to fix this, but i am lost when it comes to these cdales, i have only had yfz450s and 450r's. lol Id love to get this thing going as soon as possible, it is a super clean quad and i am in love with it already. ANY help would be great guys! thanks!

were are u out of .....if ur in dayton ohio I can help I have a d&m....

Z4J

#3 Post by Z4J »

Yep. That D&M could show you your throttle position and if it's out. Maybe and hopefully that's all it is?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Maybe you just have the idle set to low. Dales idle at 2100 rpm so it wont thump thump thump like a 400ex. Also check your battery put a voltmeter and measure voltage while cranking. If its lower than 10 volts it will crank to slow for quick starting.
Are you also doing the cold start procedure? Tap the start button 3 times in ten seconds but not long enough to actually crank the engine over. Then do a full crank and it should fire on the first revolution. Just cranking the crap out of them is not how to start them cold. You shouldnt be touching the throttle either until it fires .

dayton02cdale

#5 Post by dayton02cdale »

QUOTE (beanie$440$peed @ Nov 5 2011, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
were are u out of .....if ur in dayton ohio I can help I have a d&m....

I am in Vandalia, ohio. Like 15 minutes north of downtown. That would be sweet, any help is appreciated seeing as i know almost nothing about these quads.

dayton02cdale

#6 Post by dayton02cdale »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 5 2011, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe you just have the idle set to low. Dales idle at 2100 rpm so it wont thump thump thump like a 400ex. Also check your battery put a voltmeter and measure voltage while cranking. If its lower than 10 volts it will crank to slow for quick starting.
Are you also doing the cold start procedure? Tap the start button 3 times in ten seconds but not long enough to actually crank the engine over. Then do a full crank and it should fire on the first revolution. Just cranking the crap out of them is not how to start them cold. You shouldnt be touching the throttle either until it fires .

Yeah i have been doing the cold start procedure. And yeah the battery was the first thing i looked at and it definitely is low. I just think there is something other than that wrong since it acts like it doesn't want to hit, and once it is warm it is nearly impossible to get started. And i didn't know the idle was set so high on them, i feel like that could definitely be a possibility. thanks!

beanie$440$peed

#7 Post by beanie$440$peed »

QUOTE (dayton02cdale @ Nov 5 2011, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah i have been doing the cold start procedure. And yeah the battery was the first thing i looked at and it definitely is low. I just think there is something other than that wrong since it acts like it doesn't want to hit, and once it is warm it is nearly impossible to get started. And i didn't know the idle was set so high on them, i feel like that could definitely be a possibility. thanks!

yup give me a call 5595646 our area code

speedracer

#8 Post by speedracer »

Your up and down idle could be your idle air control valve (IVAC) has gone bad.You can dab alittle loc-tite on your idle screw to keep it from moving.The hesitation you have could be your idle rpm is set to low or it might need a throttle recal.Hope this helps.

beanie$440$peed

#9 Post by beanie$440$peed »

talked to dayton were gonna hook it up to the d&m today and c if we can get her to act right...i will let u guys no how it goes

dayton02cdale

#10 Post by dayton02cdale »

I got the quad going! thanks guys! And HUGE thanks goes out to Roxygirl, he helped me out a ton and got me all squared away. I took the quad to him and he went out of his way to get me going before i left and he had to go to work a 12 hour shift. Great guy in my book! and thanks to beanie440 for hooking me up with him.