Bought my first dale and the crank is bad

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cannondale32

#11 Post by cannondale32 »

Yes C27 There steel and I only found the shavings in the filter and I took the valve cover off and there was only a handful of shavings in the oil up there, I pulled those out with a magnet

MX Quad Dad

#12 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (cannondale32 @ Jan 5 2012, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I pulled the motor and took the sidecase cover off and it is REALLY clean, no shavings anywhere then we took the valve cover off and it has an aluminum cover and a plastic water pump impellar, but we found a little bit of shavings by the cams in the oil with a magnet, but then we took the flywheel cover off turned it a and it seemed fine. Not sure if you could tell anything that way but it wasnt acting funny. Also I'm sending pics to kdeal to post so hopefully we can get those up soon.

The side cover is trany oil. so it is normal for it to be clean if the crank goes. pull the scavanger pump cover and you will most likely find more

Kuma

#13 Post by Kuma »

Also check the frame for contamination, its a pain to clean out but required if you lost the crank. nothing worse than building a nice new motor and having bad stuff go through it in the first minute. do a search on cleaning the frame out and good luck!

cannondale32

#14 Post by cannondale32 »

Well the motor hasn't been updated but I found an e clip that was run through the motor and it tore the **** out of the clutch plates and I had a hit that races say that that is what was on my filter he s also the previous owner and he said he never heard the rod bearing rattle , what do you guys think

cannondale32

#15 Post by cannondale32 »

Here's the e clip

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

I know you should not listen to him.Anything found on the clutch side has NOTHING to do with what you found in your filter.Keep searching for the source.

cannondale32

#17 Post by cannondale32 »

Ok and the three bottom gears below the clutch well an e clip fell off that and made its way through the motor could that of done if ?

cannondale32

#18 Post by cannondale32 »

Also can you here the bearing going out ?

MX Quad Dad

#19 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (cannondale32 @ Jan 8 2012, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok and the three bottom gears below the clutch well an e clip fell off that and made its way through the motor could that of done if ?

The oil in the clutch compartment is not the engine oil. like 27 said keep looking. If the clip is off those gears, more that likely you engine was starved for oil since those gears run the oil pump. The oil in the clutch compartment has its own filter/screen. and the only oil that should be going thru the engine oil filter is on the other side of the crank cartrige plate and under the valve cover

MX Quad Dad

#20 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (cannondale32 @ Jan 8 2012, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also can you here the bearing going out ?

I have done my fair share of engine work and all I can say is by the time you can hear it damage is already done and cost goes up if you keep running it.

I had a very busy work season many years ago and a co-worker had a dodge p/u with a slant 6. early in the season it started knocking. he ran (babbied) that thing all year, many miles. so I won't say its done by the time you hear it but, that 6 wasn't built to give max HP at minimum weight