Bought my first dale and the crank is bad

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cannondale32

#21 Post by cannondale32 »

That e clip was replaced they just never got the one that shot off out of the motor, and the previous owner said he never heard any weird noises, so I'm thinkin about slapping a new clutch in it and an aluminum impellar andjust throw it back together and ride it also the cartridge plate bolts are all tight

Kuma

#22 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cannondale32 @ Jan 8 2012, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the previous owner said he never heard any weird noises,

This is a funny statement here, sounds like the previous owner never heard it run!

cannondale32

#23 Post by cannondale32 »

Ya he's used to workin on 2 strokes and he raced this with an un updated motor and said it ran real good, so what do you think I should do check the oil pump and go from there ?

wistech

#24 Post by wistech »

I had a rod bearing go bad way back in 2003 . Other than continually making metal in the filter it sounded fine. The last hour or two the idle needed to be cranked up and intermittant stalling occured. It still ran great until the last few seconds where it seized up in the middle of nowhere. The crank bearings on the other hand tend to get real loud and knock rattle but the engine will keep going until it wipes out the flywheel or the neghbors call the police from the sound. Either way metal in the filter means teardown or you will be very sorry.

cannondale32

#25 Post by cannondale32 »

Ya That would be the smart thing to do, I guess I might as well face it that the metal is the rod bearing goin sad.gif

cannondale32

#26 Post by cannondale32 »

Well I took the engine oil drain plug off and the plate behind that and there was some oil left in there. I took a couple different magnets and pulled out no shavings at all, I don't understand what it could, any ideas ?

wistech

#27 Post by wistech »

metal in the sump is crank related..if you have metal in the filter and not the sump it would be coming from the camshaft area. Did you pull the cam cover off?

cannondale32

#28 Post by cannondale32 »

Yes I pulled it off and found a very small amount of shavings.

wistech

#29 Post by wistech »

You have shavings in the head? Take a close look at the cam bearings and decomp mechanism.. Are the lobes shot on the cams?

cannondale32

#30 Post by cannondale32 »

Ok I'll check those out and the intake cam lobes are pretty flat