Stock top speeds

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cannondale32

#1 Post by cannondale32 »

Just wonderin and are they faster than a banshee stock for stock and what about compared to the new 450's

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Stock for stock heck yea Banshee,450r and Raptor will go down.YFZ is faster.Gearing and any mods changes all this.Stock Cannibal easily hits the rev limiter in fifth.It needs to be geared up for top end even stock.I would guess about 70 or so top speed absolutely stock.Only one I would worry about stock is the Banshee it may have more legs if given a long enough run to wind out 6th but if its stock you would be so far ahead by then it wouldnt matter.

cannondale32

#3 Post by cannondale32 »

Thanks man I'm just curious, I found a cannibal thats pretty decked out so I'm hopin to buy it sometime soon and There's some kids at school that think there slow so I'll have to show em up lol

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I have an article somewhere that ranks all of the old school stuff and the quad racer 500 was tops stock. It wasn't much over 70 mph. Again we are talking stone stock. Gearing can make changes easily of a few mph. I think the Banshee was second. If I remember right one of the Cannondale models was close to 80 mph stock. It may have been the Speed because of the higher rev limiter and the better map up top. Again, I can mod a banshee to do 100 mph easily if it has the room. Anything over 100 mph comes a little tougher. Due to wind drag and HP to overcome it. I personally did not care to have the top end king, because usually the bike is not good for anything else (geared too high). My Paul Turner/Duncan Racing Banshee use to smoke anything and everything up until the higher geared bikes flew by at the top of 5th gear or 6th. But, on the trails they were always searching for gears.

cannondale32

#5 Post by cannondale32 »

What about next to a yfz ?

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

When I bought the Moto I was not looking for top speed but somehow got on the topic with the person from Cannondale I was getting info from. I am not sure this is exactly what he said but, it was something about consumer protection (or whatever you call that d** agency) not wanting to see top speeds over 70 mph so even if a quad could pull a higher gear, manufacture's are reluctant to do it.

Now I not saying that this is true but, anything I have run along side of with stock gearing and tire size, top out close to the same as my stock speed. Our Moto stock did all right with a 14 t drive sprocket racing MX and on hard packed surface could pull even taller a gear but, like Ken said it gets harder on you and the quad doing anything but top speed runs.

For some reason AMA rates a 250 2 stroke equal to a 450 4 stroke. I say they are a bit off but the banshee is a 350 and by their imagination its in a way bigger class. A stock banshee will pull a lot taller than stock gearing but the trail ride-ability would be shot just taking off with a stock geared stock banshee without spinning the tires is a trick. By the time my son started his first full season in "B"Class MX I felt we had that thing set-up real well. I'm not sure on the gearing we settled with but we were running cool head with i believe 22cc domes, Toomeys and a single PWA 35 carb. he was taking the hole-shot more often than not. and as far as taking off without spinning the tires, its about as easy as the dales. so it does have a good low end with the gearing it has and in a drag race with our Moto, the moto can get a tiny jump out of the gate but, the banshee will be walking away after the moto hits the rev limiter. I could gear the moto up a bit higher and maybe equal out or even beat it. On the same note I feel I could up the gear on the banshee also.

I know it makes you feel good when you can outrun your buddies top speed and if you have areas you can and enjoy riding like that, Gear it up and let us know. I would recommend getting the motard 5th gear though. If you run shot drags, MX or trails 90% of the times. You just have to learn to be happy with beating them 90% of the time..................OR,,,,,,,,,,, I guess you could also learn to be happy with the 10%

cannondale32

#7 Post by cannondale32 »

Ok thanks man We ride just about everything where I live so I get a lot of different experiences haha

cannondale32

#8 Post by cannondale32 »

Also, what do you guys think I can get a cannibal that is basically a moto it has the moto front end durablue axle, holeshots, fmf ti, uni air filter, nerfs protapers, and so on, I can get it for 1000 bucks but it needs the sidecase gasket put on and a battery

Kuma

#9 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Dec 14 2011, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason AMA rates a 250 2 stroke equal to a 450 4 stroke.

I believe that this is an old rule that actually allowed the big bore 4 strokes to be able to compete with the smaller 2 strokes, that was back when the 4 strokes would top out around 6-7,000 RPM, whith the new high reving modern 4 strokes I think the rules should be looked over again.
Just my $.02

MX Quad Dad

#10 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Dec 14 2011, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that this is an old rule that actually allowed the big bore 4 strokes to be able to compete with the smaller 2 strokes, that was back when the 4 strokes would top out around 6-7,000 RPM, whith the new high reving modern 4 strokes I think the rules should be looked over again.
Just my $.02

I would say so but, just think about the poor 125's. They got paired up with 100% bigger 4 strokes and that was after the high reving 4 strokes were here