Cannibal Starter Problem

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Builderbee

#1 Post by Builderbee »

New to Cannodale world, just rebuilt a 2003 cannibal, but the starter just spins, checked the one way gear and it is working properly, I'm thinking it's the starter clutch? Any body got any ideas?

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Make sure the starter clutch was assembled correctly. I bought one engine that had it put together wrong and it just spun. Quick fix though. Pay close attention to the way the outer plates are in the manual. They face opposite directions.

I also recently had a bad one way bearing in another one. It appeared to work but upon teardown it was starting to fail. Removing the starter clutch and testing the bearing by hand isn't a good test. You won't get enough force compared to the starter. It would catch sometimes and spin other times when the starter was hit on mine.

Builderbee

#3 Post by Builderbee »

After i got it put together it turned over a few times and then i had some problems with the starter, got that fixed and now the issue with the starter clutch. Thanks for the info.

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

The starter clutch doesn't fail often, more times then not its the oneway. It's a pain but I bet your going to have to tear back into it.

Builderbee

#5 Post by Builderbee »

Yep, just pulled the motor back out of the bike to break down, checked the starter clutch looks good pads are all good. Any body now where I can get a one way gear?

Builderbee

#6 Post by Builderbee »

Does anybody know how to check the one way gear or sprag clutch, by looking at it, it seems to be working right. the gear only spins in one dirrection, no grooves or bad bearings. I'm not sure what to look for.