parking brake

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cuz62

#1 Post by cuz62 »

does anyone know of a caliper that i could fit to my cannibal so i can have a parking brake,now needed in the uk for the mot ?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Does your machine still have the hydraulic brake-lock hardware at the front master cylinder?
Will that be enough?...(it works great) or do they insist on some other manual park brake?
I have all those misc parts in stock.

themadhatter

#3 Post by themadhatter »

QUOTE (cuz62 @ Dec 29 2011, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does anyone know of a caliper that i could fit to my cannibal so i can have a parking brake,now needed in the uk for the mot ?

You don't need it, speak with the DVLA, you only have to have one if it was originally fitted to the quad or if it's an auto you don't need one either. The problem with it is is that if you have to retro fit a parking brake to a machine that was never designed to have one then it would be classed as a manufacturer recall. To be passed as safe for the road it would need to be completely redesigned to fit perfectly not just chucked on in your shed.
There are many loop holes with quads here in England you just have to read up and bug the DVLA alot.
My dale flew through without any problems??.

cuz62

#4 Post by cuz62 »

QUOTE (themadhatter @ Dec 29 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't need it, speak with the DVLA, you only have to have one if it was originally fitted to the quad or if it's an auto you don't need one either. The problem with it is is that if you have to retro fit a parking brake to a machine that was never designed to have one then it would be classed as a manufacturer recall. To be passed as safe for the road it would need to be completely redesigned to fit perfectly not just chucked on in your shed.
There are many loop holes with quads here in England you just have to read up and bug the DVLA alot.

thanks for that,its a shame im so far from you,i would take it to your mot station. any idea where i can get some side panels from,i have tried ebay.com but no one wants to post to the uk

Canniboomer
yes mine is still standard it depends on who you speak to about the mot

Special
Notice 2-2011, VOSA is
withdrawing the temporary
exemption ??? introduced in
SN 8-2006 ??? that allowed these
braking systems a pass at MOT
test. From 1 June 2011, quad
bikes relying entirely on hydraulic
braking systems must be failed
at MOT test.
Communicating
the change
VOSA has written to all known
manufacturers and importers of
quads fitted with hydraulic parking
brakes to advise them to recall
these vehicles for re-working.
All current registered keepers of
quads have also been written to,
to alert them of the potential
safety risk.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

...more government nonsense!,.... good luck with that.

For sidepanels, just email if you are looking for new black or new silver -- I ship to the UK routinely.

cuz62

#6 Post by cuz62 »

how much are the black ones with postage ?

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

PM is sent.

marshall100

#8 Post by marshall100 »

QUOTE (themadhatter @ Dec 29 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I'd had that info for the gasgas, though I suspect that as it has the facility to take a cable and arm, I'd have been stung either way. I certainly didn't receive a letter from the DVLA (something I complained to them about) and gasgas uk have been about as much help as a chocolate teapot. And that bike has a hydraulic brake from a cannondale allready and is a million times better than the one fitted to the rear.......

Anyway, as much as I dislike the DVLA, the problem is really going to be with some muppet at an MOT station. You really need to try and find somebody a bit sympathetic to your cause like the madhatter has, otherwise your just going to be peeing in the wind with musings from the DVLA.

cuz62

#9 Post by cuz62 »

QUOTE (marshall100 @ Jan 3 2012, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish I'd had that info for the gasgas, though I suspect that as it has the facility to take a cable and arm, I'd have been stung either way. I certainly didn't receive a letter from the DVLA (something I complained to them about) and gasgas uk have been about as much help as a chocolate teapot. And that bike has a hydraulic brake from a cannondale allready and is a million times better than the one fitted to the rear.......

Anyway, as much as I dislike the DVLA, the problem is really going to be with some muppet at an MOT station. You really need to try and find somebody a bit sympathetic to your cause like the madhatter has, otherwise your just going to be peeing in the wind with musings from the DVLA.

thats what i thought,its ok passing on the info from themadhatter but if the tester follows the new rules im stuffed, thats why i asked about fitting a parking brake to it, someone on another forum said you can fit a pit bike rear caliper to it anyone heard about doing that ?

marshall100

#10 Post by marshall100 »

Mark at status quads said that's what I should do with mine but the gasgas has the mountings to take a proper setup, even though I borrowed the lot from a honda, suzuki etc...

Just a thought, but it might be worthwhile checking what a KTM LC4 off road bike has, the output for the chain is on the same sied as our quads, as is the can am ds450 (I think) you might need to fabricate a mount for it but the brake from a can am will have the bits you need cause the ds can be made road legal over here.