Motor has aluminum valve cover and plastic impellar

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cannondale32

#1 Post by cannondale32 »

I pulled the motor out and it's got an aluminum valve cover but plastic impellar, I bought it for 1000 bucks and thought it was a cannibal could it be a fx 400 ? unsure.gif

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Post the vin. One I bought was the same way but was an 03. A previous owner could've changed the cover out, or it could be older. ECU is another clue. If it has the S1000, unless it was converted, it wont be an FX.

cannondale32

#3 Post by cannondale32 »

It has an s1000 ecu but, it makes me wonder

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

See your other post for info.

Cannondalegermany

#5 Post by Cannondalegermany »

My Cannondale Canibal from 2003 have also one Aluminium Valve Cover and Plastic Impellar. And ecu s1000. This ist not at all Canniballen

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

sorry if im taking this wrong but, it sound like its a surprise to find the plastic impellar. cannondale never did put aluminum impellars in........ did they?

Cannondalegermany

#7 Post by Cannondalegermany »

Cannondale has never made ​​a pure aluminum Impellars. But what can I enumerate the advantage and disadvantage.

2001-2002
These quads are like built in 2003 but Cannondale was stupid and thought that by going to the high compression engines Broken (this piston has 3 rings. 2 rings only for compression. And the crankshaft is properly bad.Und the starter cover has an oil window . The credible magnesium valve cover have.

2003 Cannondale engines have aluminum valve covers, oil pumps are made of aluminum wheels all third only some quads. The crankshaft is unbalanced because of the crankshaft is scrap. Does this quad s1000 ecu

Since there is also the last Cannondale quad I've also built in 2004 by Cannondale. This quad has one advantage is that the crankshaft has no unbalance. But for one thing fat minus in front of the money they were just going bankrupt, magnesium valve cover pump in the engine oil, the small wheels all wheels from plastic. Pages cover has no fixed to the oil Take control of the welding seams on the arm a-****. But this time the liner has a ****** coating the break.

I am sorry for my so bad english hope you understand it using the google translator

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

2001 and early 2002 had the aluminum valve covers which also had the hole for the cam sensor which only the 500 ecu used.
not sure what you are saying but all I know that was bad was the big end rod bearing and the earlier cranks were balanced pretty well. My son race a whole season with the stock crank and I know for a fact he was shifting at the rev limiter.

I'm thinking that by the end of 202 Cannondale had already gone under and 2003 models were being built in late 02 had any parts that were available installed. not to mention they did a lot of warranty work on all model years which may have gotten you a older or newer style part or complete engine and if they did the same with the engines as they did with the frames you would not be able to tell by the S/N

only 2004's I heard of were the prototype's

Cannondalegermany

#9 Post by Cannondalegermany »

My Cannondal Cannibal is From 2004 Production This ist no Atk im talk from Cannondale. I have the last Model from Cannondale Quad this quad has realy good Crankschaft. The Cylinder is the problem from this Model. The Production Quality is very Bad.

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (Cannondalegermany @ Jan 9 2012, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Cannondal Cannibal is From 2004 Production This ist no Atk im talk from Cannondale. I have the last Model from Cannondale Quad this quad has realy good Crankschaft. The Cylinder is the problem from this Model. The Production Quality is very Bad.

Cannondale never made it to a 2004 model. There was prototype plastic for 2004 that you've probably seen. The factory closed up in December of 2002. We have documentation that 2004 models were never tested. You probably have a 2003. Post your VIN and we can tell you. I'm not trying to prove your wrong, just want you to have good information.

Back to the OP, engine case style (unicorn, cable, john deere, or SSM , ecu type (500 or 1000), and cams and cam cover (with or without cam position sensor) are real keys to determining FX or not. Crank will tell a little but not definitive and you can't see it from the outside. Style of fenders is another way, but easily changed over time. Check out some of those other factors to figure out what you've got.