Need help with 2006 ATK quad.

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
loboracer

#1 Post by loboracer »

I hope this is the place to be for answers. I just got this quad and I am used to carbs and rice... I have a few questions for you guys.
1. Where in the world is the starter solenoid supposed to be mounted? I bought it without a battery and it is just hanging there by the wires? Answered!

2. There is a "fitting" looking piece on the right side frame which looks like it should have a hose on it or something. What is this thing? It faces down. Answered!

3. I would like to be able to do a diagnostic and maybe mapping on it, where can I get the software and whatever else is needed?

4. What's the trick to starting these things when they are cold. All that I have seen seem to be fussy about starting and idling. When i push the starter button it kicks the starter. Can't just tap it.

5. I also have an oil leak I am tracking down that is coming from up high under the nose somewhere. UPDATE. Shooting oil on the air filter from a brass looking hole on right side where filter mounts??

cannondale32

#2 Post by cannondale32 »

2.The fitting on the frame is an oil drain, So as long as it's tightened it'll be ok.
4. It could be the starter relay in the ecu tray under the front plastic it's a little black box. If you unplug it, it should be run good.
5. If I'm understanding correctly it could be the overflow shooting out into the ecu tray

haulinit

#3 Post by haulinit »

QUOTE (loboracer @ Mar 13 2012, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope this is the place to be for answers. I just got this quad and I am used to carbs and rice... I have a few questions for you guys.
1. Where in the world is the starter solenoid supposed to be mounted? I bought it without a battery and it is just hanging there by the wires?
2. There is a "fitting" looking piece on the right side frame which looks like it should have a hose on it or something. What is this thing? It faces down.
3. I would like to be able to do a diagnostic and maybe mapping on it, where can I get the software and whatever else is needed?
4. What's the trick to starting these things when they are cold. All that I have seen seem to be fussy about starting and idling.
5. I also have an oil leak I am tracking down that is coming from up high under the nose somewhere.

I appreciate any advice and all comments. If anyone needs help on Roll Designs, 2 strokes or other stuff let me know. I have experience there but not here. Pics to come soon.

Use the "Three Tap" method to start them. Pull the clutch in and tap the start button three times just enough to toggle the fuel pump on but not enough to bump the engine over, then crank it. Don't touch the throttle though that fouls plugs. Also you can pull the relay in the battery tray if it is being fickle starting when cold.

loboracer

#4 Post by loboracer »

Thanks for the replies. As for #5 What would cause oil to be overflowing? Just overfilling?
The 3 tap method sounds great! I figured there was a trick. It likes to start and run for a sec, die, start, die, start,die, high idle irregular. This was before I got your reply.
Still looking for answers to 1 and 3.

Again, thanks and keep it coming!

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

Your solenoid is connected to the battery holddown. Does your solenoid have two holes in the housing or none? As far as puking oil, you need to pull the front plastic, find the ECU tray, black plastic tray and look for a vent tube to see if oil is coming out of it. It could be just overfilled. Find the oil fill in the frame next to the ECU tray, it will have a plastic dipstick in it, start the machine with the dipstick removed, look down the hole to see if the oil is flowing. Yes, don't touch throttle while trying to start. Prime the pump a few times than try and fire. D&M kits can be bought from Brad @ Blackwidow or Boomer. Where are you located?

speedracer

#6 Post by speedracer »

The fitting is a frame oil drain.

jacobw

#7 Post by jacobw »

loboracer are you lee from racing quads.....I am in the lebanon mo area....I can help you out give me a call 417-718-8454

loboracer

#8 Post by loboracer »

The solenoid has 2 holes to mount it with. You know, I don't see a "battery hold down" just the tray. If anyone has a pic of what it looks like please send me one. I will get a hold of the previous owner about that too.
I am in Springfield Mo, Jacobw you are correct.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Here you go....

[attachment=12054:Battery.jpg]

loboracer

#10 Post by loboracer »

Awesome, Thanks K! I am missing part 9. # 15 and 7 look like they are made together on mine. If I cannot find one here, does anyone know where I can get one? I am looking for a battery right now. Again thanks thanks for all of your help guys!