Need help with 2006 ATK quad.

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
speedracer

#21 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (loboracer @ May 9 2012, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the hold down and the battery. The tap method doesn't work without engaging the starter. Must be a different starter switch on this model? Oil is puking out at the filter out the vent hose.

So does it run?When you tap the start button it should engage the starter.The purpose to tap the starter button 3 times is to prime the fuel system.Try removing the relay on the back of the ECU tray,relay is small black square near stem.

loboracer

#22 Post by loboracer »

Yea it runs, fairly good after tapping it. The starter was engaging like you were saying. I think I have all of the oil out now. I want to check the pump if I can before I put oil in it but I really don't know what I am doing. I have a feeling she will puke again. I am used to these below.

You must have don't some mods to your R, I don't recognize it except maybe the Arms.

Does this Roll look familiar?

MX Quad Dad

#23 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (loboracer @ May 9 2012, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the hold down and the battery. The tap method doesn't work without engaging the starter. Must be a different starter switch on this model? Oil is puking out at the filter out the vent hose.

If starter is ingageing without pulling in the clutch, it just means someone bypassed the clutch safty switch. No big deal, mine with the safety switch hooked up only primes once Unless you pull the clutch in and let the motor turn over just a little bit.

If you are puking oil just trying to crank it. I would say you don't have the breather update and you are at the beginning stage of Hydro locking. sounds bad but not really. I have one with the update and one without and if you over fill either one it will puke oil, mostly at high revs

Would be wise to look in the frame were dipstick is located, when engine is runnig to make sure you see oil being circulated to verifi scavanger pump is working

loboracer

#24 Post by loboracer »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ May 11 2012, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If starter is ingageing without pulling in the clutch, it just means someone bypassed the clutch safty switch. No big deal, mine with the safety switch hooked up only primes once Unless you pull the clutch in and let the motor turn over just a little bit.

If you are puking oil just trying to crank it. I would say you don't have the breather update and you are at the beginning stage of Hydro locking. sounds bad but not really. I have one with the update and one without and if you over fill either one it will puke oil, mostly at high revs

Would be wise to look in the frame were dipstick is located, when engine is runnig to make sure you see oil being circulated to verifi scavanger pump is working

I do have the update but I could not see the "flowing river of oil". The level wasn't very high on the stick and the oil is thick and black when I drained it.
Speaking of clutches, mine does not have a hydraulic one. How reliable were they? I have the Magura's on my Rolls and they have been great.

speedracer

#25 Post by speedracer »

Some on here say to never trust the dip stick.If you look down the dip stick hole,with a flashlight,while the engine is running,you should see the oil flowing.As far as the hydro clutches,never had a problem with one on the 7 dales I have had,no worries there.I had cable clutch dales also with zero clutch problems.

loboracer

#26 Post by loboracer »

I took the side cover off and it looks like some plastic gears are broke and chewed up. Looks like this would cause the oil problem. Will I have to pull the motor to get to them? Any ideas where to get them and how much? [attachment=12130:atk_missing_gear.jpg]Pics below

speedracer

#27 Post by speedracer »

Best to pull the engine and find out what cracked it.I think you can get a new gear from Boomer,Brad @ Blackwidow or if a member here has a spare,maybe a metal gear.That is why your puking oil,scavange is not working.

claas900

#28 Post by claas900 »

I'll bet the decomp came apart and locked up the scavenger pump.

who_gives_a6

#29 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Pull it. Something caused that gear to break. Better to fix it right and check everything over instead if just fixing the gear and then losing a decomp or something else, damaging the new installed gear or another.

speedracer

#30 Post by speedracer »

What the heck is the red debris on the trans filter?