Using way to much fuel

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
dschaffer44231

#1 Post by dschaffer44231 »

I have a 2002 speed all the updates have been done along with full hmf pipe and the short volicty stack it has the moto/speed map in it . Now for the problem it seems to lag a little in the bottom end and stalls sometime and then it is real hard to start almost kills the battery at times and it is new if i fill the tank all the way full and ride for 10 minutes i can't even stick my finger in the tank and touch the gas and i can only get about 1.5hr out of the tank total and i recalled the throttle not sure what is wrong

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

Do you have a D&M kit to check flow rate?I have read of injectors being stuck open.How does your return stream in the tank look while its running?So you say you did a throttle recal?You should check your plug and see how it looks.

dschaffer44231

#3 Post by dschaffer44231 »

Yes i Have the d&m kit i can get you the numbers tomorrow afternoon. The return stream is good. The plug looked good had a little light brown and the was it

dschaffer44231

#4 Post by dschaffer44231 »

Got kinda busy but im back now here are numbers i got wrote down everything that i thought might help

tps closed .16
tps open 4.25
injector offset 1.00
throttle position %10.6
Iacu stepper 164
throttle offset 0
injector flow rate 2360
injector offset .9984

Then it also had a fault report that says MIL Lamp open fault let me know what u think I was also told the it has a port job done to it and bigger injectors not sure on the injectors but i pulled the throttle body and u can see there was work done inside

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

For a cold idle (at IACV stepper 164), the throttle % over 10 is quite high.
And the closed voltage is a bit low for a normal range. You might want to calibrate the TPS again.

Still even with a racing too-high warm idle, I don't know if that could account for so much fuel usage. I would also tend to suspect some worn rings, lower compression, and sump oil that might smell diluted with unburned gas. Maybe drain the oil to check for that, or then fill, and ride for a 1/2 tank, and drain again. If the drained volume is more than you added?.... hmmn beware flammable.

Other?, Return line folded partial closed at tank, for too-high fuel pressure?. Or mismatch or faulty injectors?.

MIL lamp open you can ignore...just means that you don't have installed Status Lights.

dschaffer44231

#6 Post by dschaffer44231 »

OK i will redo the tps again that might help with my starting the oil is good i just changed that had the right amount and don't leak or burn any compression seems good also and don't smoke the return line is fine i checked that also I was told it had Harley injectors in it but as far as i can tell they look like stock to me

dschaffer44231

#7 Post by dschaffer44231 »

Here is a pic i had dont know if u guys can tell anything from it but it looks kinda ruff down inside there and thought maybe someone could tell on the injectors I found some number carved into the throttle body 0247 and a set of numbers on the motor case where the swingarm bolt goes through it says diamond racing aaa5b200b324

jacobw

#8 Post by jacobw »

WOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!....that intake tract had been butchered. Also looks like some sort of sleeves have been fit into the stock head for injectors....if its a diamond racing reangle and head....I would throw it away and find a NOS head from someone on the sight and/or site vendor and start over that way you have something good to work from

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

That is a Diamond head. But, its not so bad to the point of making it unusable. You won't get any real power gains from it so if you are happy with current power then just keep it.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

I would agree. That's a re-angle job they did, but without Porting. With stock injectors, it will actually run a bit worse, but still OK.
With straight-shoot injectors of the same flow?, it should be just fine -- and back to stock... But I have no idea which ones to choose.
If it has higher output injectors?...perhaps you can make some radical adjustments with a D&M. We can't see from the pics what injectors are in there, but if they are not stock?...I would not trust them at all.

I've worked on those before, and just replaced with new stock injectors for almost-normal performance. If you do that, get rid of those bulky slotted wormclamps while you are at it. One may be rubbing on the radiator anyway, so also space out the radiator to more vertical with a 1/4"' spacer and longer bolts.
Also change those sharp-angled bunglets (motorcycle carryovers) to the flatter ATV version for MUCH better in-out routing of the hoses.

I can work you up a kit if interested.