Possibly picking up my 1st cannondale

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Badcummins59

#1 Post by Badcummins59 »

Well I might be buying my 1st cannondale sat. I race gncc but Ive wanted one since they came out right after I graduated MMI. Its an '02 blaze 440. What should I look for?

Also he said that it gets hot quick and pukes coolant out. He thinks the sleeve is cracked in the head
And it needs all the updates. Is he talkin motor updates like the z400 crank bearing?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

If this is your first dale then go ahead and get one that is fully updated. Too many times has a new person bought a "project" bike just to surrender after spending $2k and still not having a quad that is working great. Even if its a steal I would not get it unless you just love to work your toys.

If it has no updates then I wouldn't spend over $500 on it with a good suspension. The motor can run you anywhere between $500 and $2000 with all likely hood being around $1250.

Just honest feedback.

Where are you located?

Badcummins59

#3 Post by Badcummins59 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ May 29 2012, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this is your first dale then go ahead and get one that is fully updated. Too many times has a new person bought a "project" bike just to surrender after spending $2k and still not having a quad that is working great. Even if its a steal I would not get it unless you just love to work your toys.

If it has no updates then I wouldn't spend over $500 on it with a good suspension. The motor can run you anywhere between $500 and $2000 with all likely hood being around $1250.

Just honest feedback.

Where are you located

New york. I can get it for 1k...its 100% orignal 02 blaze 440. I dont mind working on it, just dont know what does all the "updates" consist of.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

That is way too much money unless its been kept in a museum IMHO. The updates can be found here in the forums but the major items are below in order of importance....

*Crank Bearing update --typically at this point the crank is destroyed by the bearing. It could feel fine and be functioning but it will fail at some point. Getting a good used crank now a days is pretty tough. A new crank will run you ~$500 with a Z400 bearing. A custom crank from Tim will cost you roughly the same, but at least 6 months wait time.

*Crank shimming -- While you are messing with the crank you should shim the crank to reduce side play

*Cartridge/Tranny plate bolts --The factory/people were very inconsistent in their assembly. I prefer locking fasteners along with loctite.

*Cam decomp mechanism -- The decomp pivot pin wears and allows side play in the weight. 2 bad things can happen. The weight shatters and a piece of the weight makes its way into the oil line and either clogs the line and starves a system from oil or the piece makes it down to the oil pump and breaks the pump resulting in starved systems. You can get lucky and the motor just won't turn over due to the weight not existing any more.

*Oil line update -- There is a oil line going from the oil drain bolt on the right side of the motor. That should be removed from the drain bolt and a 'T' fitting installed into the oil line going from the starter clutch/frame vent oil line.

*Fuel fittings/lines -- at this age all the fuel lines should be replaced and the connectors should be open flowing connectors.

This is all I have time for now, i will update more later...and actually make a sticky. Dang we have been lazy on here.

If anyone else has some updates to list please post them and I will add to the list and sticky.

Thanks,
Sean

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

Oh, and you can get a fully updated quad in good shape from $2k+ so for $1k that one had better be in freaking crazy good shape.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Being a Blaze if it still has an intact TI exhaust and the blaze shocks Id say $1000 would be a reasonable price unless its just beat to heck. If those are missing then Id only offer $500. You need to make sure all the basic stuff is still working(wheel /axle bearings, tie rod ends,seat foam /cover ripped ,worn tires,ect. ) if you going to need to replace all that stuff as well as a total engine build then I would just pass. Sadly some pretty awsome built Dales can be had for cheap nowadays . The last couple of years has seen updated engines for sale as well.

Badcummins59

#7 Post by Badcummins59 »

I figured the hipers alone are worth $600

Yes it does have the ti exhaust, and ohlins piggyback shocks and stabilizer. Seat is torn though

speedracer

#8 Post by speedracer »

I would grab that up then try and find a updated engine from a KNOWN builder.I have seen them come up here for 1,000-1,500,some with 50 +h.p.

rayspeed

#9 Post by rayspeed »

With all of the good stuff on there assuming it is in good shape I would say that it is well worth it. But as stated above you will need at least another thousand and some sweat equity to end up with something reliable and you will have earned your ride.

Badcummins59

#10 Post by Badcummins59 »

Haha fine by me! To have a piece of history, just like my rc51 is priceless. Tryin to hit up my roots again by buying stuff I wanted when I was younger! Oh wait Im only 30 haha