Got myself a Cannondale

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
02DalePA

#1 Post by 02DalePA »

New here and new to Cannondale's. And my name is Paul
So I happened upon a 2002 Cannondale Cannibal. For really cheap it was just sitting around and the last time it was started was last year sometime and now it has a dead battery and bad gas. The gas is already gone I emptied the tank and I am going over it and just checking it out.

What are some things I should look out for?

Oh and I am going to need a shifter the one that was on it was totally striped out. hence the picture below with it sitting on the one tire. Does anyone know where I could find a aftermarket steel one of a stock replacement.

And here are some pictures.

beanie$440$peed

#2 Post by beanie$440$peed »

Canniboomer for all the parts u will need...but try and find out if it has an updated crank...if not thats the first update along with alot more

haulinit

#3 Post by haulinit »

Dang thats a clean one.

ry415

#4 Post by ry415 »

Im not a master tech like some of these guys but nobodys chimed in about some important stuff.

First check the coolant hose see if theres any corrosion or nasty stuff circulating if so you'll need to check the valve cover inlet where the impeller is...

2nd if the bikes hard to start don't keep trying and dont try jumping with a car you'll blow the one way bearing and thats on the other side of the crank requiring complete tear down. If its not running good or hard to start you can send the throttle body and ecu out to one of the techs on here and they'll get it running like a top.

I bought the same quad an 02 a matter a fact on the blind not knowing all the issues...I've had the motor out twice and id say i'm about 2 grand into it...i live in NJ so don't log alot of hours on it but i do love the quad...had i known before i bought it all the issues these things come with i would have never bought it but today im a proud owner.

02DalePA

#5 Post by 02DalePA »

Thanks for the info guys.

AND!!! SHE LIVES!!!!!! laugh.gif

At 1st the starter would not work then we jumped the starter and it fired up almost immanently. After further investigation we found why the starter would not even kick on. Around the front in front of the rad there was a lose connection. After that was taken care of it fires up very easily and and runs very strong. After talking with my neighbor and a few others we kinda looked it over and it appears to have very low hours on the bike we think it sat more than it was ran. Now the long list of things that I would like to have done are stacking up. Luckily I know the people I know laugh.gif so a-arms, steering stem, and switching to a new and wider axle and anything I could dream of are very possible to have happen just as long as I got the cash for the metal and cover his time.

Anyway I highly doubt any of the updates were done to this quad. So little by little they will be done when I got the extra cash. So I also will be saving to do a rebuild and crank and any other update that needs done. So hears to it making it threw the summer and fall. Once winter comes around to it is rebuild and crank time. Right now I really need the seat time to get used to it. I my self am a little new to quads I rode is the past but never very serious about.

riverat1540

#6 Post by riverat1540 »

If that crank gets scored your screwed, Id send that in in for a z400 update before anything, just my 2 cents.. but it cant hurt.

speedfreek

#7 Post by speedfreek »

To further add to what Riverat said, If you continue to ride it without updates your rolling the dice. You may get lucky and make it to end of riding season without a breakdown. But if your wrong and cook that crank, it will cost you much more. One year I only got 3 hrs. ride time because I found excessive end play in my crank. I was told to keep riding it but my gut said not to. I'm glad I listened to my gut because I would have been replacing the crank instead of just updating it. If I have learned anything about C-dales it's patience. If you don't have patience to wait for repairs or parts I strongly suggest you think about a jap machine. Sorry for the lengthy post and maybe being a bit harsh but that's the truth of it and it needs to be said.

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

If you ride it at all?,.... just make SURE the radiator is getting warm. The fan will turn on, whether the machine is pumping coolant, or not!... so don't be fooled by that.
Far too many new owners will overheat a stock machine, simply but changing the coolant, or not checking that the coolant impeller is primed, whether auto-bleeder equipped, or not?... and if any bleedline is plugged from common corrosion?... and/or must be air-bled manually.
If in doubt, just strip off the plastics and tank and pick up the phone. You will want to verify the valvecover type anyway, and whether S-500 system or S1000, harness version if S-1000 etc.
Nice looking machine, btw.

beanie$440$peed

#9 Post by beanie$440$peed »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jun 17 2012, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you ride it at all?,.... just make SURE the radiator is getting warm. The fan will turn on, whether the machine is pumping coolant, or not!... so don't be fooled by that.
Far too many new owners will overheat a stock machine, simply but changing the coolant, or not checking that the coolant impeller is primed, whether auto-bleeder equipped, or not?... and if any bleedline is plugged from common corrosion?... and/or must be air-bled manually.
If in doubt, just strip off the plastics and tank and pick up the phone. You will want to verify the valvecover type anyway, and whether S-500 system or S1000, harness version if S-1000 etc.
Nice looking machine, btw.

I recomend no riding untill u replace the crank also.....But atleast listen to canniboomer hes like the cdale yoda around here lol

02DalePA

#10 Post by 02DalePA »

Ok I get it I need to do something about the crank. So here is my question about the crank. Is it just replacing the bearings or does it also need balanced? I just bearings I have it done no problem. If it also needs balanced who would you guys recommend sending it to?

Oh and my valve cover is like a grey blue color. And it has a s1000 on the comp. I also had my battery drain down very low so I plain on making an order to Blackwidow again here very soon.
Thanks
Paul