Tranny or clutch problem

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
beanie$440$peed

#1 Post by beanie$440$peed »

Hey everyone...took my speed out yesterday and while riding every so often it would slip into nuetral no matter what gear it was in...then after just a second or a quick lil rev it would grab and ride fine? Manly does this in high gears on decel......my buddy said tranny is proly going out..i have no clue....anyone got any ideas what it could be?....thanks in advance for any answers...

beanie$440$peed

#2 Post by beanie$440$peed »

Bump

r.porter

#3 Post by r.porter »

QUOTE (beanie$440$peed @ Jul 12 2012, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bump

Transmissions on the Cannondale are not one of the things that fail very often if at all but there was a spacer on the shifter shaft that was to thin and could cause some shifting trouble. Not saying that is your problem but just for your information.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

Is it possible that the clutch pack is worn too thin, or out of adjustment? From what you describe, it seems the clutch is just slipping out of engagement, rather than the transmission shifting itself into neutral from any gear... that would be a mysterious new happening.

When restacking, you can fill the clutch hub with plates to about 1mm or less from the outer edge --- as long as the total clutch stroke is less than that distance plus the 1mm plate thickness, it's impossible for the outer steel plate to ever slip off the hub. If you don't have any new plates and want to adjust instead, use a 90-degree external circlip plier to hold the outer ring. I prefer to adjust the pressure plate movement visually, rather than trying to count turns of the setscrew. If the hub moves about 1mm outward from a pullstroke, that is plenty. As long as the bike does not creep forward while sitting on it with the clutch lever in, in gear -- you are good... and will have maximium riding time until you have to adjust or refill again.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Also the shift detent may have failed.I actually am surprised havent seen alot fail since it is one thing I often found very sloppy when building motors.Never did see one totally shot but almost always replaced them when rebuilding.