Oil catch / vent with no airbox

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Bvcracingcdale

#1 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

Since im running no airbox.... I didnt just want to run a hose to the ground for the oil vent

I made it so that the line went to a high point....

If any oil gets past that it will go into a crf450r catch tube with plug on bottom

Also added t fitting with filter so that it will still vent properly

Doing this....no oily mess on filter as it will simply fill the hose that can be drained when needed

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Sweet!
tongue.gif

Bvcracingcdale

#3 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

Thanks man. I got sick of oil drops on my boots lol

Only has 1.5 in it. But high revs = oil coming out

Bvcracingcdale

#4 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

Well i tried it today. Lol. No go!

Back to drawing board??

Line filled up and then filter sprayed out.

Going to make vented catch bottle with drain next

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Read my post in your oil filter request thread.

Bvcracingcdale

#6 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

Thanks for the info.

I just ordered 5 more filters. Id much rather run paper

I was concerned about the oil drip.

I figured if i cought it... then drained. And could just refill oil after every moto

When i run it to ground it drizzles out and goes on rear axle ( kinda annoyin)

Either way id like to contain it some how even if im jusy going to drain later

Its not alot of oil coming out... Just annoying. I change oil religiously anyway so i know its good all the time

My old yfz450r had same issue with oil coming out when at higher rpm near rev limiter

Even with correct amount of oil

The suzuki catch can works great on them( yamaha). But u need a vent hose. Then a outlet to go back to motor

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

It seems the main problem is being overlooked -- losing oil in the first place.
Regardless of HP, displacement, stroke, or high revs... that machine should not puke with 1.5 qts.
And puking out high and covered up, you won't discover it until there's an oily mess.
Your real problem must be the CC venting,.. you might check the machine for skimpy 1/4" lines or tee, some in-line oil filter add-on that blocks a good 3/8 pathway, or some inlet tube magnet that may have grown larger by now.

Here is a pic of oil as drained from a high comp ported 460, after run for a weekend at the dunes.... the CC Ventfilter was still dry, and 2.1 quarts was drained.
And it even had my HighCap HighTemp Sump-to-Frame Magnetic Oil Strainer on the right side.

But, that machine also had my High Capacity Upper Ventyoke Kit installed (suggested if you have a Direct Intake already which frees up the space to install it).
Though stock machines with just a full 3/8 lower Oiling Update (per Cannondale on 03) should still hold 1.5 qt....
I would certainly concentrate more effort at keeping the oil IN the system to protect that fine motor.

Routing the oil line high like you did is good and will maximize the puke threshold, but the ventfilter can be anywhere past that. We hang the filter from below and up thru a grommet in the ecu tray, fixed vertical and forgotten -- unless it gives some drip on the lower frame in front of the radiator -- good for an early warning, and away from contaminating the radiator fins or ecu tray etc.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

If you get a chance you might want to do a cyllinder leakdown test . Blowby is what causes the gas pressure to build in the crankcase. Rings not seated yet or excessive ring gap may be overwhelming the system. That and running a 432 at the rev limiter such as in mx(from your video) would be a situation where blowby would be the highest. You could also try a different oil with better anti foaming agents.

Bvcracingcdale

#9 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

Yah. This isnt new for me. Ive had it happen on many brands

Its most def from how we ride mx. Its all out as fast as it can go for usually 10 laps at a time

My mx bike has the oil catch tube. Always has to be emptied

My buddies old yfz had same issue. Would overwhelm his air filter with oil from the vent

Bvcracingcdale

#10 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

My buddy did prob 30 laps on the dale. And not a drop came out. Hes also beginner. Only going wot in certain spots

After he came from a z400. He did not wanna get off the moto. Lol