head gasket

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
2smoker

#1 Post by 2smoker »

hi all, finally got me a cannondale. purchased the cannibal from nick this last weekend. he's had a lot of work done to this and it blew the head gasket or something was leaking coolant in the exhaust side. i'm pretty new to these things, but really like the cannondale's. i'm sure i'll have a lot of questions about how to take care of this engine along the way. any opinions on a direction to go with it?

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

First, welcome!

Second, spend your money wisely and make sure your engine is fully updated.

Last, I doubt that you have a blown head gasket. Most likely it's a cracked cylinder sleeve.

Good luck

2smoker

#3 Post by 2smoker »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 14 2013, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First, welcome!

Second, spend your money wisely and make sure your engine is fully updated.

Last, I doubt that you have a blown head gasket. Most likely it's a cracked cylinder sleeve.

Good luck

its had the z400 bearings in it. he said it had the 450 cp piston in it. i'm thinking about just tearing it completely apart and checking everything out on it. gotta learn all the updates etc on these things.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

You are most of the way there with those updates. Now the water leak is more mysterious. Does it have an aluminum valve cover or magnesium?

2smoker

#5 Post by 2smoker »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 14 2013, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are most of the way there with those updates. Now the water leak is more mysterious. Does it have an aluminum valve cover or magnesium?

its got the aluminum valve cover on it .

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Need to pull the head and take a look. Are you sure the water leak is not coming from the bleed hole under the water pump cover?

2smoker

#7 Post by 2smoker »

I haven't really had time to look at it yet. he said the thing starting smoking and then was pushing coolant out the muffler. which is what made him think the head gasket blew. i'm hoping to work on it this weekend a little bit . hopefully the cylinder is ok.

2smoker

#8 Post by 2smoker »

pulled the oil filter out of it today and there doesn't seem to be any water in the oil, but there is metal shavings in the filter. sounds like it needs to be totally torn down.

2smoker

#9 Post by 2smoker »

soon i'm going to pull the engine out of this and was wondering if there is anyone near Kansas that does machine work or has any knowledge on these engines? i'm totally new to this engine and quad for that matter but would like to go through it and have it done up the right way.

2smoker

#10 Post by 2smoker »

started tearing this thing down tonight, wow its going to take me a lil bit to get that engine out! I pulled the lid off the airbox and found some antifreeze sitting in it. then I started trying to remove the air box and that's about how far I got.