head gasket

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
2smoker

#11 Post by 2smoker »

finally got some time to start tearing this thing apart. I noticed immediately the amount of antifreeze in the spars. finally got the engine out and tear down. this is what I found. it is on a 97mm bore. supposedly it had the high compression valves in it. not sure on that one. two of them have the dish to them.

2smoker

#12 Post by 2smoker »

would I be better off getting a engine from black widow for this or just get a head and cams and all that for this one? I believe this one was ported by someone at blackwidow atv not positive though. maybe just go back with stock bore also.

rayspeed

#13 Post by rayspeed »

It looks like that valve is more the victim of a worn out cam than a problem with the valve. It was probably not making very good power before it went.
It is easier said than done but if a motor looses power and you are not sure why it is time to look at the cams or at least the filter or this eventually happens. I have seen worse and I think timbo can save that one... worth it if it is ported but maybe not if it isnt. Since you need a cam or two you might want to hope a good combo of all shows up on ebay. I have a timbo gone over stocker ready to go if you want to go that way.

2smoker

#14 Post by 2smoker »

you have a stock motor or cylinder head? and how much?

rayspeed

#15 Post by rayspeed »

I have a stock head gone over by timbo with new valves, seals, buckets, retainers, rebuilt decomp and sticky bucket fix ready to bolt on.
I think I scored this particular head on ebay for $200 and lucked out with good cams. I would have to do some math on what all that work and parts cost... Not cheap but quick and the work is done right.

As for motors I have a champion built 460 that has very few hours on it and the filters were recently checked and clean that I might part with. 2k was spent on this build and I might take a little over half that for it but I would need some time to pull it. I might even give you some money back if you send your core back to me.

You can see that motor in the blaze I have listed
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...showtopic=26553

2smoker

#16 Post by 2smoker »

ok, let me dig into this a little farther and see what the bottom end looks like and i'll go from there. how reliable is the 97mm bore vs. stock bore engines and power difference. and is this a pump gas engine? the valve in this head is really embedded in it and I just figured it was junk, or fixing it would cost more than setting up a nother head .

rayspeed

#17 Post by rayspeed »

Hard to tell how bad it is from a pic and how good the porting is... yeah if it was stock I'd say junk it.
Regarding the 97 mm bore I am the wrong guy to ask there because I have not had any real long term success with anything but stock pistons. Some have said anything other than a stock is considered a racing piston and should be raced for one season and come down for replacement at 50 hours or so and its about 60 where they all let go on me so hard to argue that logic too much. If it was a cp I might feel a little better about it but not with a wwe.

I run my motors hard but I don't have time to do each one every year. Kind of why this motor is not right for my stable and I have plenty of other motors I can build before I would want to undo this one. Might be a good choice for somebody that wanted to get up and running quickly for while and freshen it up later. Might not be a bad deal for a g if you have a wasted head, cams, piston, liner and maybe crank because by the time the time you gathered those parts you will be in for more than that easily. Might even be worth it to you to take this one and do a piston and liner yourself for another $150 and you would be good to go.. In fact I might even give you one to put in with the deal.

Look at the connecting rod real hard and it it looks like it is even slightly bent it is and will give you problems later with smoking on start up because the piston is not riding in there right... don't ask me how I know that.

2smoker

#18 Post by 2smoker »

ok, i understand what you are saying ray. i got the sleeve out, but dont have the right pair of snap ring pliers here to get the piston pin out. it definitely needs a piston, i believe he said it was a cp kit. so the rod could be bent a tad.give me a lil bit of time and ill get back with you on that engine. it sounds like a good deal in my case already.