Anybody running LED headlights?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Reeve

#1 Post by Reeve »

I know some people have been running the HID bulbs in their stock housings but has anyone run LED lights yet? They make bulbs that fit in the stock housings but they don't put out any more light than the stock bulbs. They do draw a fraction of the current though. What I am thinking about is a 4 1/2" flood or spot off road light. The off road lights would run around $40-$60 a set. The advantage of the sealed lights would be I could make them fit much better than the stock housings and have a total of 4000 lumens and still draw 1/3 less amperage than the stock bulbs! Stock Sylvania bulbs have a total of 1508 lumens. I don't know if flood or spot would be best option. Night rides on the dunes are most of the time I use headlights. Here is the kit I'm looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-27W-IP67-Round...=item1c38e49d88

werty

#2 Post by werty »

QUOTE (Reeve @ Apr 15 2014, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know some people have been running the HID bulbs in their stock housings but has anyone run LED lights yet? They make bulbs that fit in the stock housings but they don't put out any more light than the stock bulbs. They do draw a fraction of the current though. What I am thinking about is a 4 1/2" flood or spot off road light. The off road lights would run around $40-$60 a set. The advantage of the sealed lights would be I could make them fit much better than the stock housings and have a total of 4000 lumens and still draw 1/3 less amperage than the stock bulbs! Stock Sylvania bulbs have a total of 1508 lumens. I don't know if flood or spot would be best option. Night rides on the dunes are most of the time I use headlights. Here is the kit I'm looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-27W-IP67-Round...=item1c38e49d88

Look up cree led lights. The ones you are looking at are tractor lights. 10k lumens really light the way at night.

Reeve

#3 Post by Reeve »

I looked up cree led lights but didnt find anything close to 10k that would fit in the stock headlight locations. I don't want to add a light bar just replace the stock lighting. Most lumens I found was around 3200 each in a 4.6" round light. I think it might fit with a little trimming of the headlight covers.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280942189525?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Use leds with 10 watt cree bulbs .They are much brighter than those with a bunch of the smaller ones. I actuallty use these on all my sleds and quads in addition to the stock headlights with the hid bulbs. For 15 bucks each they put out some serious light. The only issue I have had with them is the mounting screws suck so I install larger ones with locktite.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Here they are on Karens Moto. I guess they are a tad bright for oncoming traffic.

Nate992v

#6 Post by Nate992v »

I run rigid industries on the bar mount. One clear,one amber. Perfect in glamis.